chicken snob

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
Has anyone noticed another phenomenon besides "chicken math"? I am dubbing it "chicken snob". Not in a terrible bad way...it just cannot be helped.

I have been doing chickens for a couple years now. I started with hatchery hens then became interested in the Ameraucana and Marans breeds..
When someone works very hard on a breed and does lots of research how can they help but become a chicken snob? The Ameraucana breed is so new it seems that the promoters of this breed must defend it often.
I myself have become a chicken snob. All I have done is lots of reading and hatching of eggs. I am the happy owner of 13 (oops, 12 now cuz a dog killed one) ameraucana chicks. I incubated over 100 ameraucana eggs and spent lots of money on the eggs. I have not even bred my own birds but how can I help but sound like a chicken snob when someone tells me " why are you wasting money buying eggs when you can get those araucana chicks at the feed store?" Or when someone posts a pic of a crazy mixed barnyard bird and is sure it is an excellent specimen of one breed or another? I cannot imagine how it must feel to have been raising chickens for 30 years and answer the same questions over and over.

My husband tells people that I have very special chickens not just regular chickens. I see the puzzled look on their faces. How can a chicken be special? lol I was amazed at first at the chicken snobs... now find myself beginning to think the same way even with my limited knowledge. Just one of those crazy things I guess... like chicken math. In the years to come I am going to try and remember what it feels like to be just starting out.

Just randomly rambling...

snob!

JK!
tongue.png

I can understand it...lol. I remember the first time I read a comment about hatchery silkies being ugly. I was shocked. How could a silkie be ugly???
Now I have two hatchery silkies...lol. While I find them as cute as buttons (if buttons were fuzzy), I sure can see why people with gorgeous silkies bred to standards of perfection, with their huge crests and cushions, perfect feet, sparse hard feathers, etc., might view my them as "ugly."
hu.gif
tongue.png

Last edited:
I'm right there with you. My first two chickens are hatchery SLW. I added some breeder stock and when I see them all out together it's obviously who the ugly ones are. It doesn't make me love them one little bit less, but bless 'em, they sure are homely.

I would buy a hatchery bird tomorrow if I was most interested in eggs, but when it comes to lawn candy, I am a complete chicken snob.
hide.gif

I enjoy having good looking chickens and over the dozen or so years that I have been keeping and learning about the specifics I have refined my taste. But for me a chicken is is chicken which could be dead tomorrow due to predator or illness. And a diamond is only as much as the amount that some one will pay to have it. Most of us need to spend our resources on essentials. For a chicken $10 is all I will spend, for a chick, not more than $5 and I consider both of those purchases carefully, I must really want that bird before I will spend cash for it.

Eh don't worry about, there are plenty of fools out there. Take the ones that say "go buy yerself some araucana chicks" and laugh then explain to them that it is a totally different breed that does not interest you.

Also bear with some of the uneductaed....many hatcheries market Easter Eggers as Ameraucana so they think that is what they are buying but they end up with green legged green egg layers. I personal love my EEs (any breed crossed with an Ameraucana = EE or Easter Egger), I just gave up wasting time trying to explain it.

Back
Top Bottom