Chicken sprayed with Gasoline

New Chick Mom78

Hatching
Jun 12, 2023
My chicken was hiding in the wood pile and we didn’t know it. Poured some gas on it to get it going and up she popped from pile. She got a good amount on her when she did that.
I immediately took her in and washed as much off of her with dawn dish soap. Anything else I can do????

:welcome

That's never good. How is her breathing? Did she get any on her face? How does her eyes look? Washing her off with Dawn dish soap was good. Does she still smell like gasoline? Giving her a second bath in (warm) water might not be a bad idea if she still smells, and make sure her face is clean. Be sure to keep her far from your fire (make sure no other chickens go near that wood pile or are in it if you haven't burned it yet). Keep her in a well-ventilated area but far away from the other chickens. She'll try to preen after the bath, but make sure she doesn't eat any of her feathers.

If her breathing and eyes are good, I think she will be fine in the end, just keep a close eye on her for a few days and provide her with plenty of fresh water.

She’s seem to be breathing okay. I have supplied her with a water dish and food as shed hiding in a bush and run. I will try to capture her to see if she still smells.

The other chickens are away from her.
We did not light the burn pile after the incident.
:welcome

That's never good. How is her breathing? Did she get any on her face? How does her eyes look? Washing her off with Dawn dish soap was good. Does she still smell like gasoline? Giving her a second bath in (warm) water might not be a bad idea if she still smells, and make sure her face is clean. Be sure to keep her far from your fire (make sure no other chickens go near that wood pile or are in it if you haven't burned it yet). Keep her in a well-ventilated area but far away from the other chickens. She'll try to preen after the bath, but make sure she doesn't eat any of her feathers.

If her breathing and eyes are good, I think she will be fine in the end, just keep a close eye on her for a few days and provide her with plenty of fresh water.
She’s seem to be breathing okay. I have supplied her with a water dish and food as shed hiding in a bush and run. I will try to capture her to see if she still smells. If so I’ll bathe her again.

We did not light the burn pile after the incident and will hold off a few days and now know to check it before doing anything!

Thanks for your advice

She’s seem to be breathing okay. I have supplied her with a water dish and food as shed hiding in a bush and run. I will try to capture her to see if she still smells.

We did not light the burn pile after the incident.

She’s seem to be breathing okay. I have supplied her with a water dish and food as shed hiding in a bush and run. I will try to capture her to see if she still smells. If so I’ll bathe her again.

We did not light the burn pile after the incident and will hold off a few days and now know to check it before doing anything!

Thanks for your advice
That's good she's breathing ok. She sounds like she'll be fine in the end. I'm glad she jumped out before you lit the fire.

Back
Top Bottom