Chicken sweater. Yes or no.

If a chicken is shivering it needs some sort of protection. If you can find the same kind of material used to make horse sheets (ripstop nylon) you can make a coat for chickens and it won't hurt growing feathers. The quilted kind is even better. This stuff ain't cheap but you can buy it on Amazon.com. You can also recycle an old fleece jacket to make a few coats for your chicken.

If you can't make a coat for your shivering chicken bring her inside. Plastic animal carriers are great for temporary homes and are perfect for this situation. Not uncommon in my house to find a recovering critter in one of my bathrooms.

I found some quilted backing and some velour kind of fabric that is hard to put a needle through. I made her a "coat" with the velour stuff being what is touching her and an outer shell of some cotton with the quilted backing sandwiched in between. I even had some sew on velcro. It ain't pretty and it ain't much appreciated yet but it should certainly help.

I basically took the hen saddle idea and expanded the pattern to cover the whole chickens body. The wing openings I would do differently. I would make them slits that I could velcro shut behind the wings. Hard to get an angry hens wing through the 3 inch slots I made.

I found some quilted backing and some velour kind of fabric that is hard to put a needle through. I made her a "coat" with the velour stuff being what is touching her and an outer shell of some cotton with the quilted backing sandwiched in between. I even had some sew on velcro. It ain't pretty and it ain't much appreciated yet but it should certainly help.

I basically took the hen saddle idea and expanded the pattern to cover the whole chickens body. The wing openings I would do differently. I would make them slits that I could velcro shut behind the wings. Hard to get an angry hens wing through the 3 inch slots I made.
know she will appreciate it.

know she will appreciate it.

I know I will, chickens just look so CUTE in lil' sweaters!

Any luck or progress on the project, Granny? Not sure if anyone's brought it up, but you may not want to make it too snug on her, in order to prevent her new blood feathers from getting caught in it when putting it on or taking it off. In any case, I can't wait to see pics!

This morning she was leaning against the wall in her "coat". I thought for a second she had passed away. Turns out she simply hates the daylights out of the "coat". She looked like a complete drunkard walking in it. I took it off her and she went to munching down breakfast like nothing had happened.
This afternoon I decided to try and let the gals out into their run. I shoveled it out and opened the door. Not one single head even peaked outside. (31 degrees out at the time with sun shining.)
Little miss no feathers was hanging out by the heater I have in there just for her. (40 degrees inside coop about 5 foot from the heater.)
There are 8 windows that have smoked lexan and 3 that are just hatches. Most of the heat I believe came from the sun on the windows.

Tonight I think I will see if after they roost I can get her to stay between my 2 fluffy sussex hens.

fl.gif

Our lows are forecasted to be in the mid 20's for the next week.
If I cannot get her to stay put I am bringing her inside in the dog crate. ( My dogs should just love that )

I want to thank all of you for the great input. I put a very secure heat lamp in the hen house. It seems to be working for her so far and it was down in the single digits last night. I have a red heat bulb in it and hope the light doesn't bother them to much. I will be going to the fabric store today to see what I can find that is warm, but that her new feathers won't get caught in. I will use it if I find I think she still need more warmth. Thanks again.

I've been asked to make some sweaters for a friend who has 8 hens. The only crochet pattern that seems doable is the one that you just posted a photo of on Molly - it is a brown sweater. Could you possibly share that pattern with me? I've been hunting around for a pattern and this is the smartest one I have seen so far! Please help!

I feel like they would overheat in a sweater?? They are super warm already, adding a sweater I think would be too much. But they are so cute! Haha!

I feel like they would overheat in a sweater?? They are super warm already, adding a sweater I think would be too much. But they are so cute! Haha!
I think they would actually be colder with a 'sweater' on..as it would impede their ability to fluff their feathers which is what holds the heat to their bodies.

Back
Top Bottom