Chicken sweater. Yes or no.

I also would like to know this! Just opinions about chicken sweaters in general. Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but aren't chickens sensitive when molting? Would the sweater rub against her and irritate her? Like rubbing a sun burn or something along those lines? Again, not sure, just a thought..

Not only irritate her but a "sweater" or a hen Union Suit, overalls, coveralls, or a parka would bend, and break the new blood feathers because they are as tender as a piece of cooked spaghetti during the molt. A chicken can quickly bleed to death from a broken pen or blood feather. Furthermore the only way to treat a broken pen or blood feather is to pull it out by the roots with a pair of pliers.

I am not going to advise you one way or the other but the things I told you are facts, use them to decide for your self what is in your hen's own self interest.

I
Not only irritate her but a "sweater" or a hen Union Suit, overalls, coveralls, or a parka would bend, and break the new blood feathers because they are as tender as a piece of cooked spaghetti during the molt.  A chicken can quickly bleed to death from a broken pen or blood feather.  Furthermore the only way to treat a broken pen or blood feather is to pull it out by the roots with a pair of pliers. 

I am not going to advise you one way or the other but the things I told you are facts, use them to decide for your self what is in your hen's own self interest.
actually just read more on this yesterday. There are a number of reasons the sweaters are bad, it would be very painful against any type of broken feather, they won't be able to regulate body temp, we all know chickens are dry creatures and the sweater can trap moisture, also if a rooster tried to mount a hen with one he could get entrapped in the sweater and both birds could be severely hurt.. They are cute for a photo op but other than that I would probably advise against it..

I think they would actually be colder with a 'sweater' on..as it would impede their ability to fluff their feathers which is what holds the heat to their bodies.
I am concerned about that also.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I'm really curious about this topic. I have a shivering Andalusian and I was trying to think of ways to keep her warm and I found this thread. I have no room for her inside the house and although I have electric in the coop shed/ I am not keen on putting a heat lamp in there. (With my flock now, I'm sure there is a good chance of an accident or fire.) So the question remains, how do I keep her warm?

What about making some sort of 'bag' that fits around the chicken that is made of breathable fabric... Something that would let the moisture out, but keep the warm air in? What about those fabrics that are now made for runners that are breathable and keep the runner dry? I guess that would make them too warm, probably. ? Maybe cut some slits in it so that the warm air out when they move around?

Its a curious thing.... I like the chicken sweaters and find them to be cute and funny, but I'm pretty sure the chickens HATE them! *chuckles * There is no way for them to dust bathe either, and that is essential for chickens.

The weather in our area is below freezing already at night, and my poor little EE has just started to molt. It seems like it's all at once. She has many big bald spots. I have seen her shivering. Whereas I do know that a sweater on a fully feathered bird would not be good because it would restrict the hen from fluffing her feathers, would it be a good or bad idea to put one on little miss baldy? What do you all think?
hu.gif

Hmm, I think it'd be okay. I'm not a vet or anything, but I'm sure it'll make her warm.

I crochet chicken sweaters. My chickens, multiple varieties, orpingtons, osterlops, Rhode Island reds, bantams, arucunas, all wear my sweaters. They have no problems and are so cute. I've made them for other people on here. Very fair prices. For a reference, contact katsbar. Let me know if you want me to crochet some for you. Regards, Martha

There are a lot of good opinions on here about chicken sweaters. I guess it depends on where you live and their living conditions. I've seen some pretty awful living conditions for some who've called their homes outside 5 gallon pails. I have crocheted for farms that sell the eggs to the govt for testing and so far, I've had Zero complaints. Each one of us, have good points about the yams and the nays of the sweaters. Don't let anyone decide for you. I will make you a sweater for free if you order a sweater. I have made extra sweaters for free. The only one who can make your decision is you and no one else.

Everyone has good opinions, like something else we all have. If everyone listened to mr. Negativity, you'll be missing out on life. What you eat mr. Negativity jr don't make me poop either. Let people think for themselves

Everyone has good opinions, like something else we all have. If everyone listened to mr. Negativity, you'll be missing out on life. What you eat mr. Negativity jr don't make me poop either. Let people think for themselves

He wasn't really being negative, just stating his own opinion. Really, I agree with him since chickens probably highly dislike any clothing.

Maybe. I'm crocheting sweaters for an egg production farm here in my state. They have over 200 birds, and love the sweaters. But I guess it just depends on the breed and what zone they live in.

Back
Top Bottom