Chicken tastes like leather

RawEggEater

Chirping
Jan 15, 2020
Niobrara Co. Wyoming
I have way too many RIR roosters and finally butchered one of them today. I tried cooking it over coals and that didn't work out. Burnt on the outside and red inside. So I cooked the rest of it up in a pan with butter. Very hard to chew. Like leather. I've had them since the start of May. Probably too old. Could I maybe make soup out of them or maybe try and marinade?

Yep, the older they are the tougher they get.
He’s 7months old; good for stew and soup. Can also shred.
Today I made chicken in an instapot and shredded for chicken and dumplings tomorrow. Instapot helped somewhat but meat still a bit chewy. The broth from instapot cooking is GREAT, though.

I have way too many RIR roosters and finally butchered one of them today. I tried cooking it over coals and that didn't work out. Burnt on the outside and red inside. So I cooked the rest of it up in a pan with butter. Very hard to chew. Like leather. I've had them since the start of May. Probably too old. Could I maybe make soup out of them or maybe try and marinade?
I'm assuming you did not rest it because you butchered it today and cooked it? Rigor mortis will make a bird of any age very difficult to chew. Resting it in the fridge for at least 24 hours after butchering will help immensely.

Others are right, you need to use a moist cooking method like stewing. But I just wanted to also ask if you aged the chicken. If you eat a chicken soon after slaughter, rigor mortis sets in and the meat gets leathery. Letting the meat rest in the fridge for 2-3 days (or until the joints move freely) will allow rigor mortis to pass and the meat will be more tender.

You are working with an older bird so the stewing thing still applies, but rigor mortis may also have contributed to the toughness.

Like leather. I've had them since the start of May. Probably too old. Could I maybe make soup out of them or maybe try and marinade?
Be sure and let rigor pass.

Brine first if desired,

Then cook slow and low with moisture.

We also grind sometimes, similar to beef or turkey..

Soup, enchilada's, shredded or ground tacos, etc.

The texture will never be like the soft mush coming from super markets.. but it definitely does get better than leather!

Congrats on getting your first one harvested!

Hope it comes full circle soon! :drool

I'm assuming you did not rest it because you butchered it today and cooked it? Rigor mortis will make a bird of any age very difficult to chew. Resting it in the fridge for at least 24 hours after butchering will help immensely.
ok, yeah, I cooked it immediately after I butchered it. They didn't mention that in the YT video I watched. I need to do a little more research, I guess.

The bird was roasting age. To roast an older bird you use a covered pan that seals well and low heat, 325 F.

Age of cooking methods are Broiler to 14 weeks, fryer to 18 weeks, roaster to 9 months and stew there after. Any method of cooking at or above the age of bird can be used. If broiling an older bird it would be tough. Not resting birds for a few days to let rigor pass then they are tough.

Back
Top Bottom