Best option for butchering older roosters?

I have six Ameraucana/ Silkie roosters that are almost two years old. I’ve tried to sell them, practically giving them away. However, it seems everyone is in the same boat as me when it comes to having too many roosters. I realize now after reading more that I should’ve butchered these birds along time ago. I was just hoping there’s some sense in me killing and cleaning them now. Like I don’t want to clean the meat and prepare it for people and it be the shittiest tasting, leather like chicken they’ve ever had. Please someone with some experience, I need your advice! Thanks!

First, when you butcher be sure to age them until rigor mortis has passed. If you don't they will almost certainly be inedible. That can be true for any chicken but especially for older roosters.

As they age the roosters' meat gains flavor and texture. The flavor can be described as gamey, same as any other older intact male like bull or boar. Some of us like that flavor in chickens, some don't. Cooking it with other strong flavors can help with that. With one exception, you need to cook the meat slow and moist. That exception is pressure cooking, that is not slow. Give up on the idea of grilling, frying, anything like that. Not going to happen.

One way the French turn an old rooster into t gourmet meal is Coq au Vin. Literally Cock with Wine. Marinading in wine is an essential part of this recipe. The acid in wine breaks down the tissue that makes it tough.

Molpet mentioned pressure cooking, enough said.

Putting the meat in a crock pot and cooking it on low overnight can give you some really tender meat. Flavor comes from what you add.

I like to make broth with them. Put the meat with water, an onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and whatever herbs and spices you want (I grow basil and oregano so I use those a lot) and a dozen peppercorns in a crock pot. Maybe a bay leaf. I cook that on low for about 24 hours. Pick and shred the meat for tacos, soup, chicken salad; I make sandwiches for lunch. Strain and defat the liquid for the best broth you've ever had,

The first time I butchered some old hens I learned my lesson. Tried to fry one up for dinner and couldn't even chew through it. Tough as shoe leather is not overstating it. The others above have given great suggestions, and I've learned since they do work and the meat is tender and tasty, and the broth - oh my! - is out of this world delicious.

I use the best meat parts for soups & stews, pot pies, tacos, and chicken salad. Icky bits and skin make dog and cat food. Bones get buried in the garden. Fat is skimmed off and rendered to use in cooking and baking. Broth is used for many things. Bones, offal, feathers, heads and feet* get buried in the garden for fertilizer. Nothing goes to waste**.

* I've heard that chicken feet are a delectable delicacy - but can't bring myself to try it.
**In all honesty, I don't always process old birds this way. Depends on how much processed chicken and broth I still have in the freezer, the weather, demands of my schedule, and my motivation level. They often go into our burn pit - but at least they are returned to the earth as ashes.

* I've heard that chicken feet are a delectable delicacy - but can't bring myself to try it.
Delicacy is in the eye of the beholder. I've worked where the guest of honor gets to eat the eyeball of whatever the main dish is, fish, pig, goat, sheep, whatever. I was never the guest of honor and never felt slighted.

I scald and peel the feet and use them to make broth. That gets them clean enough for me. Feet provide a lot of gelatin to the broth, they make a noticeable difference.

I scald and peel the feet and use them to make broth. That gets them clean enough for me. Feet provide a lot of gelatin to the broth, they make a noticeable difference.
I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.... and you reminded me. Maybe I'll try adding them to the stock pot next time. Thanks!

It is definitely worth the effort to butcher in my opinion.

I've twice now made gumbo with 2 year old roosters. We deboned the meat, briefly browned it with some cajun spices and then put the meat in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes. Shredded it and then put it into the gumbo where it simmered another hour or so. We thought it was absolutely delicious. The texture, appearance and even taste of the dark meat was closer to beef than what we would typically think of as chicken.

As others have said the bones make the best, most flavorful stock imaginable.

Back
Top Bottom