Chicken Tractor for Rangers

Jan 29, 2024
I’m raising Rustic Rangers this summer. How big of a chicken tractor would I need for 60 and what style would you recommend. I’m reading that 2 sq ft per bird should suffice. Does everyone agree with space for this kind of broiler.

That's consistent with the recommend, yeah. Though bigger means moving less frequently, since it will take longer for them to eat the goround bare.

Next question is how you plan to move your tractors. If you are using manpower, weight is an immediate restriction on size.

Your grounds are also a concern. If they are flat, you have no size constraints, even if not level. If your ground is rock, rolling, or rutted, multiple smaller tractors are superior to one large tractor that may not sit flush.

and my general prefence in design is, functionally, a rolling "hoop coop" made with cattle panel and a sturdy wooden frame. Its resource efficient, cuts weight, and (properly constructed) as sturdy or more than a "traditional" boxy build.

I did 3 sq. ft. each for my Cornish X. My Rangers I decided to raise in a large run after tractoring for about 2 weeks in that same tractor I previously used for CX. They were just too active and didn't seem happy in the small space. Also, the boys were pretty aggressive and were fighting a lot.

I know I'm not totally answering your question but these are just some things to keep in mind. Like u_Stormcrow said, more space is always better. I personally think that is even more true with the Rangers. My CX barely wanted to eat the grass and therefore didn't tear it up much. The Rangers acted like normal chickens, scratching and pecking. They will eat through grass a lot quicker.

I've run Rangers for the last two years, and the tractors I make are about 6'x12' (2m X 3m). We found that at about six weeks spit the flock (~55) into two tractors. We noticed the Roos were still a bit tight, and this year we will likely split them [the roos] down a little more. They are just so vigorous on grass, which is great and what we want. For the lethargic CX, we can do the whole flock in the one tractor, but that is for half the time the Rangers take, so... We harvest these around 18-20 weeks.
I included pictures of my tractors. (Currently have 8 month old Ranger hens and Kosher King Roo's at ~16 per tractor) The tractors I build are smaller than some, but they move very easy, are relatively stable in high wind and are sturdy and cheap to build. Works for us.
IMG_20240210_163301.jpg

Closeup, for better size context.
IMG_20231125_170819.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom