Chicken tractors roofed with metal?

willheveland

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2008
southern tier,NY
I always used plastic tarps on my meat chicken tractors. The tractors I've always built were 4 ft high so I could go inside to feed and water. I liked these because during the off seasons I could use these for raising other breeds as well.
I want to build a few just for meaties. This will be lower to the ground as I won't be walking in. I've been thinking of using metal for the top but my concerns are "Would it make the tractor hot for the birds" being so close to their heads. I usually have them out in the sun all summer but with the tarps there was plenty of headspace for air circulation and the tarps offered shade. I know metal would get very hot to the touch during the day and being just over their heads would this be too hot? Any thoughts? Will

My tractor is 4ft high with a metal roof. I haven't had any overheating issues with it. I don't know about anything lower and I haven't touched the inside of the roof during the day so I don't know how hot it is.

Oh yes, metal roofs get HORRIBLY hot. And they generate heat on the inside as well, it's one of the reasons they're liked so well in Alaska... melts the snow off and any little amount of sun helps with heat (a LITTLE in the winter). I've been on a metal roof in the summer... HOT HOT HOT!! I'm sure if it was less than 4' it would be trouble.

Here in Texas we use metal roofs for nearly all livestock, and trust me, it gets plenty hot here. The roofs get very hot, but with adequate ventilation that's not an issue at all. I have a 4 foot tractor with lengths of tin set on top (no solid sides - daytime pen only) and it's fine. Their coop also has a metal roof - again, with good ventilation. The places the roof rafters come out from the wall are left open but covered with wire to keep out predators. Fact is, metal roofing is more durable than any other and does a great job, especially considering the price and ease of putting it up. Just have to be sure it's well ventilated (at the roof line) and the heat from the metal is no issue at all.

My husband built ours with a metal roof. I had mine in there from March to May with no probs with heat. I plan on putting my second batch in there from September to October/Novemberish. I think if you do it during spring and fall it should be okay. Imho, meat chickens poop too much for them to be raised in the summertime
sickbyc.gif

CIMG3131.jpg

The one I used last year had a metal roof and it was 2' high. Joel
Salatin's pens all have a metal roof and are 2' high. The reflective
nature of the metal prevents alot of solar energy from being
absorbed into the metal. Instead, it is reflected back up. That
is why it's so hot on top of a metal roof.

I live in the extreme SE part of NC next to a swamp and I didn't
have any issues with the metal roof.

(edited cause I can't spell
smile.png
)

Last edited:
my husband used a 70's chevy truck cap to start our chicken tractor works great but heavier than haydes!! takes 2 people to move (or I have to get out the jack and 4-wheeler!)

Back
Top Bottom