Metal shed for chicken coop?

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I am looking into converting a shed into a chicken coop. Will a metal shed be ok if I insulate the inside of the roof? They're much cheaper than the resin ones, but I don't want my chickens over heating or freezing. I'm in New England so winters get cold. It would be under a completely shaded spot under trees. So the sun would not be directly on it at all.

Yes.

In some climates metal roofs can cause condensation and dripping on the inside. Your proposal to insulate the roof addresses that, just ensure that the chooks cannot reach and destroy it.

You will need to add ventilation on the upper ends/sides at the rate of 1sq ft per chicken.

Yes.

In some climates metal roofs can cause condensation and dripping on the inside. Your proposal to insulate the roof addresses that, just ensure that the chooks cannot reach and destroy it.

You will need to add ventilation on the upper ends/sides at the rate of 1sq ft per chicken.
Would it be possible to install some windows lined with hardware cloth in the metal? maybe if I reinforce the frame with some 2x4s to help bulk it up.
Thanks for your response!

Would it be possible to install some windows lined with hardware cloth in the metal? maybe if I reinforce the frame with
Yes, you'd need to add some framing inside to support any windows.

Biggest problem with sheds in general is that there's now decent roof overhang to protect any vents/windows......or have soffit vents for winter time ventilation.

Ventilation is an important part of coop design. Make sure you provide good roosts, and nesting boxes. My coop is a converted shed. As you get snow make sure no drafts can reach your birds. A mettle shed might be a little harder to convert than a wooden won, but it should last much longer. Consider the cleaning as well. I would but a removable board under the roost so when you can pull it out to clean.

Back
Top Bottom