Chicken trapped for 7 days under grill

jksmiles

Hatching
Sep 8, 2015
Upon returning home from vacation we verified several of our chickens had been killed by the neighbor's cat. Today as I was clean off the porch, I found my dog licking a chicken. I yelled thinking he was killing it. By the time I got there I saw it was the one bird that was missing but we did not find a body for. I picked it up and to my surprise she was still alive. I brought her in a put her in a warm bath of epson salt for the magnesium. I then mixed up some electrolytes and have been giving them to her every 10 min or so. She is now opening both eyes most of the time. After a 20 min. soake I put her in a crate and will continue giving her electrolytes until she can drink on her on. My daughter went out and found where she had been, there was lots of poop and feathers. Any help would be appreciated.
V/r,
Julie

Water, some pedialyte and some poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron.
Keep her very warm. Perhaps around 80F if you can.
Perhaps some sugar in the water will give her some energy.

Once she can eat, some scrambled egg, tuna (or other fish) plain yogurt.
Get her on some chicken feed as soon as possible. Try adding water and making a mash with it.

Last edited:
Talked to the owners, they told me it was my problem because "thats what cats do". I'm getting a live animal trap from a friend;)

No, it's their problem because the animal left their property.
Animal control, police or the sheriff should force them to reimburse you.

Where do you live?

Animal control should trap the animal and make the owners to bail it out of jail.

I guess you know what I would do. They would never see the cat again.

You know when morons let their cats run amok, they risk the cat being killed by a dog, coyote, raccoon, other cats or run over by a car. So what do they do when the cat doesn't come home? They probably get another cat to be allowed to run amok. How many times does that happen before they come to their senses and keep the house cat in the house?
What's the difference if you make the cat disappear?

Last edited:
I'm sad to report that our girl just passed away in her sleep. Thank you all for your help and support.
Julie

I so sorry, she may have gone into shock. Sadly neighbors like that with free roaming dogs and cats, are in every neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom