Chicken Tumor or ingrown feather being expelled?

FDA1548B-EEE8-445A-9D37-BC027B0E6167.jpeg

It looks like she has been pecked there which could have caused the feather loss and the scab. Could she have also been injured by another chicken jumping on her back or pecking her? I would separate this chicken into a wire dog crate with food and water, but keep her near the other chickens, so that she doesn’t lose her place in the pecking order. Clean the wound with something like weak betadine, Hibiclens ( Chlorhexidene) and water, or soap and water, then apply some plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Can you find the preen gland midline near her tail?

I am just learning what the preen gland is! I’ll look in the morning. I removed those feathers gently so I could get a better look and clean it, so I’ve been cleaning it a couple times a day. She’s separated in her own space within the coop! Still can’t figure out why she is limping so much, but my immediate concern is trying to figure out this big wound.

Hi, did you have any luck. My sons wyandotte is doing the same as yours. The vet told us today it’s Merck’s and we should put her to sleep. Before I break my sons heart I am interested to see if you had any luck?

I also notice this was two years ago! But...my chicken has something like this in her back that seems rock hard. She is also limping greatly about the same time I noticed it! any advice?
Did you ever get answers to your issue? Wondering what any of you ended up doing for this or how it resolved bc I have a hen with the same exact thing. She’s def not feeling well- eating/drinking but less than usual, and at times separates herself from the flock when they’re free ranging. So far on all the pics/posts I’ve found on the web that look just like this, no one knows for sure what it is or how to treat.

One of my chickens came up to me and followed me around tonight, when I bent down to touch her she crouched down and didn't run, felt this on her left breast area. It seems like it's coming out of her and being expelled. It is not hanging very tightly to her. Any thoughts?

One of my chickens came up to me and followed me around tonight, when I bent down to touch her she crouched down and didn't run, felt this on her left breast area. It seems like it's coming out of her and being expelled. It is not hanging very tightly to her. Any thoughts?

Did you ever figure this out? Just discovered something very similar on my poor chicken. Have no idea what to do.

Hi! I see this was in 2015 however I am hoping that you found out what this was. I have a chicken with a very similar looking mass on her neck.... Please let me know if you did figure it out - would be very helpful! Thank you!
Did you ever figure this out? Just discovered something very similar on my chicken. 😭

One of my chickens had something similar. It ended up just falling off and she is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 47

Back
Top Bottom