Chikpeas

Chirping
May 30, 2021
Idaho
This is mostly just a curiosity thread to hear about the unique vocalizations that everyone's chickens have, as I've come to realize not every hen clucks the same. 😁 For example, I have two 3 month old Black Australorp pullets (whom we lovingly call the Twins) and both of them loudly honk exactly like geese. They have since they first got their "grown up voices". Meanwhile their Buff Orpington sister grumbles like a little old woman who smoked two packs a day her whole life 😂 They were hand raised in our house and not a one of them sounds like an actual chicken.

Would love to hear about everyone's unique chicken voices

This is mostly just a curiosity thread to hear about the unique vocalizations that everyone's chickens have, as I've come to realize not every hen clucks the same. 😁 For example, I have two 3 month old Black Australorp pullets (whom we lovingly call the Twins) and both of them loudly honk exactly like geese. They have since they first got their "grown up voices". Meanwhile their Buff Orpington sister grumbles like a little old woman who smoked two packs a day her whole life 😂 They were hand raised in our house and not a one of them sounds like an actual chicken.

Would love to hear about everyone's unique chicken voices
SAME!! 🤣 One of my Australorps is really quiet and squeaks, while her only living sister is really noisy, squacks like a goose, and we have one BO left who bawks outrageously when I pick her up unnoticed! (She loves being picked up and petted, though so she's actually okay with me) She grumbles when I pick anyone else up! 😊

My head hen a Dominique named Hobo grumbles and growls and her egg song sounds like a nerd laughing "no offense to nerds, takes one to know one right?"
Then I have Homer a Faverolles that makes one monotone wrrraaank sound she's never clucked even as a chick she didn't peep she whistled just one tone.
Her egg song sounds like chicken murder.
I'm sure my neighbors love me.:)

My Australorp hens make soft noise between "who" and "coo." They're very quiet most of the time.

My roo, however, crows and alarm calls for no apparent reason.

The chicks still sound like chicks, but their cheeping sounds "bigger" now.

My cockeral started crowing at 4 weeks old. I couldn't believe it. It was hilarious. He sounded like a high pitched donkey for weeks. Now, he tries to out do my alpha rooster. Each crow is so long that he ends up wheezing/honking as the last bit of air comes out. He tries so hard to be a big, bad rooster, like his daddy.

Hard to describe some of the sounds I hear but a fun thing to try is to ID a bird making noise behind you by just her voice (some of the birds rarely make a peep, so this obviously only works with more talkative ones). Usually I'll do it when hubby is out with me and without turning around I'll ask him to confirm if I was right.

My satin still chrip/squeaks even as a hen. She only clucks when she's broody.
My d'uccle mixes who just lost their baby chirpy voice does a kind of soft murmur or an obnoxious squawk/honk.
My LF hens tend to have a drawn out brassy baWk bAWk, but my neighbor's LF leghorn mixes have more of a bouncy clear staccato bok bok.

honestly, it's kind of hard to describe, lol

All of these responses absolutely delighted me and several made me laugh out loud!! It's just so awesome to see what makes every peep unique, and how much it showcases their personalities.

One of our older hens, a super sweet Barred Plymouth Rock who no longer lays, has the single quietest voice I've ever heard. She loves to talk, but always very softly in long strings of "ooooooooooh bah bah bah bah bah" that make her entire body move. But when one of the others lays an egg? You better believe she's gonna sing the LOUDEST supportive midwife egg song out of everybody 😂 We call her our little granny hen

One of my Red Star hens has the weirdest dang voice. She croaks. She literally sounds like a toad when she's mad.

My two 18wk d'Uccle pullets have the funniest little raspy voices! They sound like Demi Moore, lol

Back
Top Bottom