Chicken water cups.

Tcooper75228

Chirping
Apr 12, 2018
Royse City Texas
JPEG_20180530_172231_6859337225515138594.jpg
Hey guys I just put my chicks out to the coop from the brooder and can't get them to use their water cups. I had to put their brooder water dish out there. Any thoughts or tips on how to get them to use the cups.

Last edited:
From my viewing, the water cups are still slightly too high for your small chickens. If you would place some sort of elevated pad under those cups, so there is only a 4 inch distance from ground standing instead of 8.
I would also place a dish of water next to the cups, and then eventually decrease the amount of water in dish. Chickens would learn that there is also water in those small cups. Education done with a diploma for ALL chickens. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,, and :welcome

Once you get the cups at the right height (as suggested), what you can do, is push the lever down in each cup (mine is yellow) until the cup fills with water. Maybe show them the cups and put their beaks in (if they are young - mine figured them out right away - old hens). Once the cup goes dry they will peck at it to get the water and that is how they figure out how it works. I test mine once a week to make sure water is still flowing and nothing is clogged.

X2 on the height, they need to be able to bend their heads down into them instead of reaching over the edge, and filling the cups. As soon as you have some time to hang out with them, just keep pushing the lever to fill the cups. They'll drink until the cups are empty and then lose interest. Keep refilling if they start wandering off. but give them time to try to play with the levers. Even my babies usually have them figured out within a couple hours.

Back
Top Bottom