Chicken water nipples reviews?

Quote:
I've never seen one of these. Is that one big nipple? Looks sturdier than the little plastic ones.

Oh, I see. That's your hose connected to the bucket
lol.png
I want to try something similar to this but want to use pvc

I think the nipples are great for outside watering. I've found they tend to leave a wet patch of litter from stray drips when used inside. Sometimes the nipple can get stuck in the up position and leak a fair dribble.

I have never had the nipples drip or stick. You have too high a water column if they do. The cups don't work well in any area that freezes. There is no real good solution that keeps them from freezing because water is often left in the cup.

Quote:
I've had it happen with 5 gallon buckets filled maybe 3/4 full....what are you using?

On the other hand, I had a 55 gallon drum setup for a couple years and didn't ever notice a dribble. That was outside though.

I've been using the little push-ins...I settled with putting two on the lower side of a Trader Joe's Ice Tea gallon jug opposite the handle, that way I can sit the jugs flat when I am refilling them instead of having them sit on the nipples and having it leak all over, and then I hang from the handle at a slight angle. I also drilled a couple of air holes near the cap, not sure if it's really necessary, but I have noticed there is no black stuff (mold, mildew, upchuk?) any more. I have had leakage occasionally, not sure if it's from my inexpertly drilled holes... now I use silicone caulk around the little collars. I made about six of them and switch them out for my six hens weekly and as needed, have one inside, one or two outside. I use water with ACV. I am very satisfied with the system. The grils had no trouble figuring out how to use them. I got a pan-style heated waterer for winter, but the girls seem to prefer the nipples, just take a swig or two in passing and move on...

I bought two at four bucks a crack at the local feed and seed to try em out. Thought it would be cute to put one on a vodka bottle and Jack bottle. They look good and the chicks try to drink but dont think they deliver enough water. Junk in my opinion. Went back to a homade gravitational dilivery system made of cottage cheese containers. POOP FREE, DEBRI FREE.. AND FREE!! Can even drop an ice cube in it if ya want for em
yippiechickie.gif

Last week I bought some threaded nipples online from QC Supply. I bought 6..only needed 4, but figured having the spares wouldn't hurt. The day they got here, I took them out of the mailbox, and screwed them into the holes I had drilled in my bucket 3 days ago. Put a couple inches of water in it and put it my coop. I got 6 N.H. reds, and 6 barred rock, All 4 weeks old. And 6 white silkies at 6 weeks old. From point of opening my mailbox to having ALL 18 birds using it...less then 10 minutes.

Been a good solid week now with nothing but the nipples. Couple of pecks and they get what they need and off they go. Even with the 90-95 degree weather we been heaving up in the Northeast last couple of days

Last edited:
My flock is only 13 weeks old and the nipple water bucket even younger but they used it fine after I installed it, within an hour. The nipples work great so far, though they haven't seen winter yet so I can't say. The only issue I've had is that once they were old enough for the run, and I put a water dish outside for them, they quit using the nipples and will "hold it" until they get outside in the morning. I can tell because the water level in the bucket never drops and they run outside and drink for five minutes straight every morning. You'd think the nipples were torture at this point. Clearly they have a preference.

Back
Top Bottom