Chicken wire to prevent digging?

Codex0802

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2022
Around the run and base of my coop, I've installed hardware cloth. It extends about 6" onto the ground, creating a small apron. I'd like the apron to be 2 ft - can I use chicken wire specifically only there (flat on the ground around the coop and run) to prevent digging or can predators get through it to dig?

Around the run and base of my coop, I've installed hardware cloth. It extends about 6" onto the ground, creating a small apron. I'd like the apron to be 2 ft - can I use chicken wire specifically only there (flat on the ground around the coop and run) to prevent digging or can predators get through it to dig?
It won't last. It is very thin and flimsy and wouldn't make a good apron.

Chicken wire is to keep chickens in but will not keep predators out. You need hardware cloth or cage wire.

I understand the desire to use chicken wire; hardware cloth is much pricier. I nearly fainted at the cost this fall when I needed enough for two new runs.

But, the peace of mind is worth the money. Also, I always put 12-inch square stepping stones on top of the outer edges of 2-foot hardware cloth aprons. Losing three of my four original hens to a mink has taught me the value of improved security.

Back
Top Bottom