Chicken with a weak neck! Help!!!

tofumama

Songster
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
In the Shadow of a Mountain MA
This is the second *case* of this in about 2 weeks. I have a flock of d'Uccles that are about 2.5mo old. All seem healthy, active and look good. About 2 weeks ago, one of them was sort of laying on the ground near the coop and could not lift her head at all. SHe did not appear to be in pain, but was fairly lethargic. Something got her during the night(animal) out of our Chicken Hospital on the deck, but I doubt she would have lived :( as we could not get her to eat or drink. Aside from the neck, we could not see anything wrong.

We are on chicken #2 with this affliction. Again, the neck is totally weak, she cannot lift or hold her head up at all, appears lethargic but other than that nothing seems to be wrong.

In both cases, the chickens were perfectly fine the day before, and this chicken was fine this morning.

I looked up common illnesses but cannot find anything that fits! Our chickens free range, and eat organic unmedicated food, were vaccinated for Merek's but nothing else.

Does anyone know what this is? Please help...I am fairly sure we are going to loose this chicken, but is this contagious? 2 weeks apart seems long but...ugh. :(

Hi,
I have a 12 week old hen that was fine one day and the next day I found her in the coop not able to lift her head. she can stand up but she cant control her neck. she is able to eat and drink if I hold her head up to the food and water. Her eyes look and she acts alert and her nose is not runny. i was trying to look up and see if I could find something on this, with no luck. I came across your post. I think she has injured her neck some how, jumping on the roost and landing on it, or maybe another chicken landing on her neck. I was just wondering if you found out what was wrong with your chicken and if she made it through.
Rhonda

Well, since no one here replied I did do some more intense investigating and what I found is that dehydration can cause that weak neck condion. I have had 3 chicks with this now, and all 3 recovered after being separated, given their own food and water with electrolytes. Perked up within a few hours and left the *safe place* on their own. It has been really hot here and originally they were dealing with our ducks *stealing* all their water. Now I have their water in their coop and another waterer where the ducks won't mess with it.

I would try separating your chick and doing the electrolyte thing(even diluted gatorade will work, we use a product called Emergen-C which is vitamins and electrolytes and you can get it at most grocery stores, Walmart...I do 1/2 pkg. for a mason jar of water)and see if that helps. Hope your chick is ok!

Just wanted to let everyone know she is doing great! 3 days after this happen she started to lift her head alittle at a time and the 4th morning she was as if nothing had every happen. We kept her in our small brooder for 48 more hours and then returned her to the flock and she is doing great. Thanks for your help

I am so glad I am reading your posts - I just picked up 4 salmon faverolles about 2-3 months old, and one has a weak neck, almost twisted:
I am keeping her separate from the others just in case, but the farmer thought she may be dehydrated as she was fine in the morning and then seemed injured. Her poops are normal, and her crop was full when they came here.
I hate when something is wrong with the girls :(
I am going out now to pick up electrolytes
i hope all your girls are feeling better!

They are doing great, Thank You. I hope your little hen is doing well. Ours is doing well after 4 days of feeding and watering with eye dropper. The Electrolytes are great and helped a lot.
Thank You.
Ranny Lane

I have a small flock of six and they are five weeks old. One of the giants just came down with what you are describing, could not lift her head, won't eat or drink. The vet gave her a shot of b6 for muscle weakness but it did no good. I think she will die. I am afraid others will be infected but don't know this is or how to prevent infection. What is the status of your 2nd chicken?
Worried in Indiana

I have a small flock of six and they are five weeks old. One of the giants just came down with what you are describing, could not lift her head, won't eat or drink. The vet gave her a shot of b6 for muscle weakness but it did no good. I think she will die. I am afraid others will be infected but don't know this is or how to prevent infection. What is the status of your 2nd chicken?
Worried in Indiana

These symptoms sound like wry neck . Thiamine B1 deficiency. A multi vitamin like polyvisol will help. If you want to target the thiamine deficiency , find a vit B tablet and crush it into powder and sprinkle on the feed. Alternatively you could dissolve a half a teaspoon of marmite in hot water and pour that over feed.
Brewers yeast is another good source of thiamine.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/216/vitamin-bi-deficiency

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I took her to the only vet who would even see a chicken and he gave her a shot of b vitamins but she still can't lift her head which is under her body so has not had water or food for four now. What a fighter but it is a fight she is losing. Heart wrenching, wish I knew what else to do. I am adding vitamins to the drinking water of the other chicks who are still so young. Again, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom