Chicken with cancer?

Just thinking......., any thoughts about the possibility of it being sort of a “bumble foot” on the face? It’s hard, has black on it, and swollen.
May be way off, but if a soak of betadine and sugar poultice would get this to regress, it would be worth it.

It is up to you to do anything you can to try and help her, but just from the way that juts out from under the eye, it looks like something cancerous. Many of us will try various methods of tretament and lancing or squeezing, to see what is inside. Most cancers are vascular and will bleed, while an abscess will contain cheese-like material. I think the betadine and sugar poultice is a good idea to try. Let us know how it works.

I've seen similar and I usually just remove them. :oops:

Edited to add:
If it's pus it should come off/out fairly easily, but if it's cancer it won't.
How did you remove it? Also, would an abscess be as hard as a rock? I’ve read that you should not squeeze an abscess. It would be nice to know exactly what it is, so I would know how to proceed in the right way as to not hurt her or cause more problems.

Oh I am so sorry about your sweet girl. :hugs That sure looks like it could be cancer, chickens can get carcinomas of the eyes and mucus membranes, although I don't know enough to identify it. Surgery on birds is risky business however this is severe enough, it seems worth trying. I hope you can resolve this soon!! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom