Chicken with chronic diarrhea

Just wondering what the outcome was. I have a chic who has had diarrhea from day one. She is 7weeks old and still has a watery poo that squirts out of her. She is eating, growing and does not display any signs of illness. I have tried deworming, antibiotics and , food to try and firm her up. No luck, I am afraid there is something I am missing . With the hot summers coming I don't think she can survive

Just wondering what the outcome was. I have a chic who has had diarrhea from day one. She is 7weeks old and still has a watery poo that squirts out of her. She is eating, growing and does not display any signs of illness. I have tried deworming, antibiotics and , food to try and firm her up. No luck, I am afraid there is something I am missing . With the hot summers coming I don't think she can survive
I would treat her with Corid if it were me. Watery poo at 7 weeks sounds like coccidiosis to me (and of course she has had it for a long while).

I give Corid 9.6% liquid, 9.5 ml per gallon as the sole drinking water for 5 days. Mix new solution daily and don't offer vitamins as it is a thiamine blocker I have read.

You should see improvement in 24 hours or so from my experience. I would treat all the chickens who have been exposed to the poo of this one.

I would give her scrambled eggs to boost her up as well.

Last edited:
Since starting the Corid I have not seen improvemnet. This is the last day of treatment and she still has diarrhea. She looks good, eating, running, drinking. I just cant seem to figure it out. Let me know what you think.

Have you tried adding probiflora to her diet? You can do it by giving food such as yoghurt or buttermilk or even buy a probiflora supplement that can be added to their drinking water?

Corid doesn't treat all the strains of cocci (see corid.com). However, it has always worked for my flock. There are two other drugs that are sometimes given that treat other strains. However, I have never given them and I know one of them has a reputation for being hard on the chicken (Sulmet). Sulmet treats two other strains. There are 9 strains that affect chickens. The other med. is sulfadimethoxine. You would need to research these as I cannot advise.

Since you already ran antibiotics through her...and ruled out worms by deworming, I am not sure how to advise you to proceed.
I hope she gets over her watery poo soon!

Here is a general link with diagnosis charts at bottom:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Do make sure that the antibiotic you gave treats things like E. Coli and staph- things that could cause diarrhea (see the above link too for more ideas). I wouldn't want to eat her eggs when she grows up unless you can solve this, personally.

Watery poo just isn't normal as you know and you are absolutely right that she is depleting her health by continuing it.

The two things I personally would try if she were my chicken is I would try another cocci drug and another antibiotic. Not all at the same time. Of course there is the chance by keeping on giving all these meds that she will become ill just from the side effects of them all. Maybe the probiotics you are giving will kick in and start working and stop the diarrhea.

Some vets will do a poo test for cocci. But collecting watery poo- now that is a challenge. (You would just bring the poo.)

I am happy to report that my hen is pooping normally . I'm now seeing solid nuggets now.
The last treatment she went thru was the corrid for coccidiosis . Her poop started to change about ten days after the beginning of treatment.
Maybe there can be very mild cases of coccidiosis too? Anyway thanks to all for posting your advice.

I am happy to report that my hen is pooping normally . I'm now seeing solid nuggets now.
The last treatment she went thru was the corrid for coccidiosis . Her poop started to change about ten days after the beginning of treatment.
Maybe there can be very mild cases of coccidiosis too? Anyway thanks to all for posting your advice.
Yay! How magnificent!

It is so nice to hear that she is on the mend.

Yes there can be mild cases of coccidiosis- even silent- in the flock and you don't know they are battling it.

Back
Top Bottom