Chicken with hurt leg

I have the same thing going on with a 17 week old pullet! When you said she holds her leg out at a slight angle and won't put weight on it, you hit it right on. She's one of my most beautiful pullets! When I pick her up to inspect it she kicks and fights with both legs, yet she can't put any weight on it. She will hobble around though to get from place to place. Last night I slid a pen over that she was in with a few other girls and it kind of startled them, they all jumped and ran. I think I caused her injury and feel pretty sick about it. Can anyone help??? Qi Chicken- how is your girl??? I'd love to here if anything helped!
I discovered our 2 year old Black Australorp limping badly on Friday. She was unable to put any weight on her leg. When she held it up it trembled. I isolated her in a broody cage. Gave her some egg and sunflower seeds hoping that it was a minor problem. She is pooping, laying and eating normally. Bright eyes and red comb. She was no better over the weekend. This morning she seemed to touch her leg to the ground a few times, more than she has the last few days. I have not given her any aspirin or anything. Can not see any problem with her foot. She holds the leg out at a slight angle. What can I do for her. Of course, she is one of our very favorite chickens. Very curious and sociable. I am very worried about her and would like any advice at all. We absolutely do not want to lose her. Thanks, Anne

I know this is an older thread but today my husband found Daisy, the only tame one in my flock, hobbling on one leg. I know our rooster is picking on her, he chases her around their outside pen until she returns inside so she hangs around inside the coop a lot. We suspect she may have hurt it jumping or she may have slipped when he chased her up the ramp into the coop. I immediately isolated her. My husband carried her around today to try to lift her spirits. She's eating and drinking. She is just holding her right leg up... her foot looks fine (same as the other one). What can we give chickens for pain and inflammation, does anyone know?

I know this is an older thread but today my husband found Daisy, the only tame one in my flock, hobbling on one leg. I know our rooster is picking on her, he chases her around their outside pen until she returns inside so she hangs around inside the coop a lot. We suspect she may have hurt it jumping or she may have slipped when he chased her up the ramp into the coop. I immediately isolated her. My husband carried her around today to try to lift her spirits. She's eating and drinking. She is just holding her right leg up... her foot looks fine (same as the other one). What can we give chickens for pain and inflammation, does anyone know?
I had a young pullet that I thought was hurt by a rooster. She kept holding her leg outward and couldn't move. I was able to get her to recover fully. I started a new thread when she was getting back on her feet, literally, so feel free to check it out. Hope it helps you!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/634103/injured-leg-a-success-story

I discovered our 2 year old Black Australorp limping badly on Friday. She was unable to put any weight on her leg. When she held it up it trembled. I isolated her in a broody cage. Gave her some egg and sunflower seeds hoping that it was a minor problem. She is pooping, laying and eating normally. Bright eyes and red comb. She was no better over the weekend. This morning she seemed to touch her leg to the ground a few times, more than she has the last few days. I have not given her any aspirin or anything. Can not see any problem with her foot. She holds the leg out at a slight angle. What can I do for her. Of course, she is one of our very favorite chickens. Very curious and sociable. I am very worried about her and would like any advice at all. We absolutely do not want to lose her. Thanks, Anne
Encouraged to find this thread. My 7 month old Rock pullet is almost the same. Happened 8 days ago. First couple of days, she would fall over on her right wing even when sitting down. After a couple of days she began getting up and limping around, with her foot in an arched position. Now that I think of it, that's what I do when there's something wrong with my foot, not my leg. I've examined the foot, cannot find anything. Yes, my favorite, and after all this attention, she--Elvira-- is now my crippled pet chicken. Shoot. I have her separated out, but I don't want to let that go on. Any advice would be appreciated. I will now go research bumblefoot. Thanks.

I had a little chick do this same thing

my big chicken got out and pecked at the chicks foot and now it is reall swollen, he seems to do better when he is wraped in the towel or when i hold him..all my chickens come take turns sitting in my lap..it just kills me that this precious one is in pain..how do i wrap his leg and can i give him baby asprin in his water for the swelling?

I have a seven week old RIR she is limping and she doesnt want to put weight ot all on her foot when she does it looks like it bends the wrong way she is in with eleven others they dont seem to pick on her in the brooder she is eating and drinking good what do u think I should do to help her

I

I am also very encouraged after reading this post. My favorite bird is having the exact same problem. She has been isolated for three days now. I am giving her apple cider vinegar in her water.

I just got home and noticed my baby SLW is lifting her leg. I noticed her just laying down while the others free ranges. What do I do ? I looked at it and can't see anything stuck. All her toe nails are on. It's not a different color. She is just lifting it up when she does try to move. Any suggestions? She is with two 4 week old EE . They have never been mean to her. She is two weeks. Should I separate her?she's breaking my heart:(..

Last edited:
I noticed mine had a hurt leg and is not getting any better, I don't think she drank water over the weekend. I placed the water and food right next to her today. She was limping a few days ago, but not isnt even getting up. I tried to help her up buy she just sat in one spot. She is 8 weeks old. :(

How is she doing now? Did she get better?

I purchased 3 14-16 week old Fr. Black Copper Marans a few days ago. Put just the three of them in the coop so the new flock could get used to them, but not attack them. They went to bed fine, then one of the pullets woke up with a limp. She has been laying down most of the time, but DOES get up to eat and drink. I will keep the three isolated until she is better, and keep her in a crate if necessary (I go on a trip soon, so DH gets to baby sit the chickie babes). :)

I think rest and time will help this one. She probably fell off the roost and hit it or something. Bad timing! She's a lovely bird.

Back
Top Bottom