Chicken with hurt leg

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
I discovered our 2 year old Black Australorp limping badly on Friday. She was unable to put any weight on her leg. When she held it up it trembled. I isolated her in a broody cage. Gave her some egg and sunflower seeds hoping that it was a minor problem. She is pooping, laying and eating normally. Bright eyes and red comb. She was no better over the weekend. This morning she seemed to touch her leg to the ground a few times, more than she has the last few days. I have not given her any aspirin or anything. Can not see any problem with her foot. She holds the leg out at a slight angle.

What can I do for her. Of course, she is one of our very favorite chickens. Very curious and sociable. I am very worried about her and would like any advice at all. We absolutely do not want to lose her. Thanks, Anne

Sorry this is such a late update! My Wyandotte slowly recovered on her own. She still has a barely detectable limp, but is otherwise perfectly fine. She probably hurt herself by slipping on ice or something. We'll never know. I'm just glad she bounced back. How about your Australorp?

I had the very same thing happen to my hen at about 10 weeks of age. It was the first time I came on this site looking for an answer. I found one that had given her hen 5 aspirin in a gallon of water plus vitamin B complex plus vitamin B 12. We put her back in the brooder with her water and food where she wouldn't have to walk much to get to it. It took about a week to see her come around and then we started taking her out once or twice a day and letting her walk around a little bit. She gained strength each day and after we felt her leg was okay again we put her back with the other chickens (1 rooster and 6 hens). We then had problems with the rooster trying to attack her but that's another story. We still put the aspirin and vitamins in all of the chickens water since we have read about so many chickens getting hurt legs. I don't know how long we will continue doing this but for now we think it is best way. Good luck with the hurt leg!!

Have you inspected the foot closely for bumblefoot? Check the bottom for possible swelling and a dark, scab looking place. Also check her toenails to make sure none have been broken off - I've had a girl stay off her foot due to a broken, bleeding toenail.
If you find no wounds or bumblefoot places, I'd probably guess that she's simply jumped off the roost and sprained or twisted her leg. If that's the case I'd keep her contained in a small area (to limit movement) for a few more days to give the leg an opportunity to rest/recover.

Thanks for the info. I know she does not have bumblefoot and did not notice anything amiss with her nails but will check. Have you (or anyone else) ever had a chicken with a sprained/twisted leg that recovered? Or didn't? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Anne

I have the same problem! Today I noticed my 8-month-old Wyandotte pullet suddenly favoring her right foot. She was fine yesterday. Now she doesn't want to put ANY weight on it. She either stands on her left foot like a flamingo or just sits down. Her foot looks fine to me, but I'm not a veterinarian. It is cold & snowy here, so I'm hoping she just sprained it slipping on some ice or whacked it trying to fly over the neighbor's fence, which she's fond of doing. Otherwise, she looks normal, and gobbled up the mealworms I offered her. I'm going to watch her closely and pray she heals on her own. I just hope the other three girls don't harass her, since she seems to be the lowest in the pecking order...

Oh no! Can you isolate her so she can rest her leg? Nobbie is putting her foot down very very very rarely and definitely not yet putting any real weight on it. I put 5 crushed aspirin in a gallon of water and began giving her that for her water this am. I figure if there is inflammation it may help. Advil or something would be better but I don't know about chicken anti-inflammatories. Nobbie is at least not worse so I am hoping it will just be a slower recovery. In the summer she loves to jump on the arm of the patio chairs and try to get your sweet corn. Good luck with your girl.

Thought I'd check back in to see if you girl's leg has been improving...
fl.gif

Well, tonight I discovered the same thing in a favorite red bantam! I suppose we might as well start a club. She jumped out of a pen a little lower than my shoulder, and there was also some wet ice here. She is putting some weight on her leg, though.

Back
Top Bottom