Chicken with missing top beak

brandibaby23

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
New Paris, Pa 15554
I rescued a tiny orange hen, and her top beak is almost all missing, she isn't too old I don't think. She clucks, no peeping anymore. I saw her at an auction and wanted to bring her home, she was pathetic and cute at the same time. I know that I must feed her from a deep bowl, so she can actually get food in her mouth. I tried to let her free range with the rest of the chickens, but today she has NO food in her crop so I brought her inside for the night for oatmeal and scrambled eggs. She gobbled them down, and she drinks more than the rest, and she has breathing problems, she sounds like a bull dog lol she snuffs. Not from any sickness, just the way her beak is I guess. no discharge or anything. Questions are just if I am feeding her right, anything anyone else has done that I am not. Has anyone ever tried a prosthetic before, it seems like it could be done but getting them used to it would be the challenge, because she hates wearing her diaper, I would make her a house chicken if she didn't seem so uncomfortable in the diaper lol. I tried hard to get pictures before I posted this, but I have 2 cameras one with a cord and one without, one works and one does not guess which one doesn't work?! but as soon as I get a picture i will try and get it on here, will try with the cell phone next.
big_smile.png

I am no expert, but I just rescued a couple a few weeks ago, and their beaks look the same way. They're not quite that far down. I've had a couple of people tell me that it looks like someone has trimmed their beaks, most likely because they had been pecking. My two can eat fine, but sometimes it takes them a couple of tries to pick up scratch.

I am not sure but I think that it will grow back on it's own.There is a girl on here that rescued a rooster and his top and bottom beaks were broken and they both are mending and growing. She is a cutie so I hope it grows back for her.
big_smile.png

She doesn't eat well, like I said her crop was completely empty today and not very full the last couple days! So I am worried leaving her outside with the rest.

I have a chicken that just broke her beak 3 days ago.... It's still on here under emergencies, injuries and cures.... broken beak....
Check out what everyone suggested and the photos!!!! psimons2004

Back
Top Bottom