Chicken with white diarrhea, sluggish

Stynieke

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2018
Belgium
Hey all,

I have a chicken, whose about a year old now, and for the last week has been very sluggish.

Often has her eyes closed, sitting. When I try to touch her she wakes up and moves a bit.
Occasionally she gets up and joins her sisters in eating, but slower and only occasionally.

I've been giving her special attention to try to give her healthy foods and snacks. (She loves tomatoes). And she does eat it, but sometimes starts being sluggish again mideating.

I've been giving her anti-worm and procolon in her drinking water. Also homemade electrolytes, which she doesnt drink on her own. I trick her into laying a few dried worms in the electrolytewater so she partly drinks it that way.

But most of all, it's a diarrhea problem. Pictures attached. She's not eggbound as far as I can tell.

Any more suggestions what I should be doing? I've read that a white diarrhea might be vent gleet, but her butt looks fine...

Attachments

• IMG_20220604_132843_Arcide.PZD8.2.v5.1.xml.jpg
    IMG_20220604_132843_Arcide.PZD8.2.v5.1.xml.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220604_132833_Arcide.PZD8.2.v5.1.xml.jpg
    IMG_20220604_132833_Arcide.PZD8.2.v5.1.xml.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220604_133920_Arcide.PZD8.2.v5.1.xml.jpg
    IMG_20220604_133920_Arcide.PZD8.2.v5.1.xml.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 8
How old is she and does she lay eggs? White urates in large amounts in droppings can be a sign of dehydration. I would get her drinking, and you may need to tube or crop feed water with electrolytes and vitamins. Watermelon is good to offer for fluids. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, or puffy? It should feel empty in morning and fill up during the day. Crop disorders and reproductive disorders are 2 things to rule out.

How old is she and does she lay eggs? White urates in large amounts in droppings can be a sign of dehydration. I would get her drinking, and you may need to tube or crop feed water with electrolytes and vitamins. Watermelon is good to offer for fluids. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, or puffy? It should feel empty in morning and fill up during the day. Crop disorders and reproductive disorders are 2 things to rule out.

I can't really catch her during the day, I'll feel it this evening when it's darker!
I see her drinking occasionally, but a watermelon is a great idea!

She's around 1 years old, a bit older maybe. She did lay eggs, but not anymore since the diarrhea! We had a red mite problem as well, but I've relocated the chickens until I deal with the problem 100% last week.

Will keel you updated, thank you!

An update: been feeding her watermelon yesterday and this morning. She does eat it, and agressively lol. But then pause for a few minutes... Like she falls asleep standing.

I felt her crop last night and it was empty... Definitely not full and hard or puffy

During the day, her crop should fill with food she is eating. I would offer some chicken feed crumbles or pellets, and those may be moistened with water into a mash. Cooked egg can be offered. Recheck her crop first thing tomorrow morning to see if it has emptied. Compare her crop to the others.

During the day, her crop should fill with food she is eating. I would offer some chicken feed crumbles or pellets, and those may be moistened with water into a mash. Cooked egg can be offered. Recheck her crop first thing tomorrow morning to see if it has emptied. Compare her crop to the others.
Will do that! Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom