Chicken won’t grow feathers

Sophijo97

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2020
IMG_9883.jpeg

One of our chickens in Colorado seem to not be growing back their feathers. They eat good, drink water, lay eggs, poop , etc like normal but seems to have bald spots with no new feathers sprouting. We have no roosters and have not seen this chicken or other chickens picking out their feathers. Our other chickens have no feather issues. Any ideas on what causes this or how to make their feathers grow back?

We got her from a rescue so I’m unsure on breed and age but my guess is 2 years old and Welsummer
More like a red/gold sex link type (possibly an Orpington).. Angry red skin looks like possible parasites.. Consider treating with a permethrin based product (no egg withdrawal required) found on the equine isle (horse fly spray) follow up according to directions, or other effective treatment.

Sometimes broke or missing feathers will not grow back in until molt. But the skin condition should improve above what is seen here. Some of those do look like pin feathers coming in with the sheaths still on them.

More like a red/gold sex link type (possibly an Orpington).. Angry red skin looks like possible parasites.. Consider treating with a permethrin based product (no egg withdrawal required) found on the equine isle (horse fly spray) follow up according to directions, or other effective treatment.

Sometimes broke or missing feathers will not grow back in until molt. But the skin condition should improve above what is seen here. Some of those do look like pin feathers coming in with the sheaths still on them.
she has been like this for six months or the whole summer. Are there any diet additions that would help feathers grow back? Or what about lotion or ointments to help encourage feather growth? We have several other chickens that do not have this issue so I don’t think it’s parasites.

she has been like this for six months or the whole summer. Are there any diet additions that would help feathers grow back? Or what about lotion or ointments to help encourage feather growth? We have several other chickens that do not have this issue so I don’t think it’s parasites.
Despite being only 2% digestible in their raw form.. feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Diet has a definite effect on feather quality and protein content is not the only factor.. but will not make angry skin. The average 16% protein in most layer feeds is considered the minimum to keep light bodied layers like leghorn in good laying condition.. noting under commercial circumstances.. those nutrients aren't being diminished by things like scratch which is usually around 8% protein or other snacks. Heavier breeds (most brown layers) will do better on 18-20% protein.. Since making the switch.. my elder birds molt softer and recover faster.. Since I don't use "layer" feed, calcium source is available free choice on the side. All the feeds regardless of what they are called on the label.. the major difference is the protein and calcium contents.

Couple quick notes regarding protein.. *most* chicken feeds in my area are vegetarian based.. animal protein is superior to vegetable protein if supplementing.

Do not believe that of others aren't effected there must not be a problem.. they have individual genetics, lay rates, foraging, and bathing/grooming habits.. in studies conducted on backyard chickens here in California. it was shown that 10% of the birds may carry as many as 90% of the parasites. Still.. usually when treating one, it's best to treat all.. And I prefer not to treat without verification.. usually a flash light after dark.. but if I can't verify and all signs are still pointing that direction.. I will treat. Always use your best judgement. For my first 7 years of keeping chickens, I never had to treat for anything. Here things are different with more wild life pressure than when I lived in the city, higher stock density, and different weather patterns and soil conditions.

On a personal level.. I took a gal with missing (pulled) feathers that weren't growing back to my avian veterinarian to verify before I treated if she had depluming mites which are microscopic and live inside the feather shaft and will therefor never be seen by the naked eye.. She was cleared from ALL parasites by the expert.. a few hours later a rooster was going to a new home.. I always check birds before they leave here and treat IF needed to give their best possible start at their new place.. that boy was loaded.. I can't remember if it was norther fowl mites or lice that he was crawling with as it's been several years now. Same flock, same coop, different results. Quick note that some parasites like roost mites.. don't live on the birds but only come out to feed on them at night.. check by running a white paper towel under the roost a few hours after dark.

Now my friend who lived a mile or two away, used DE in her dust baths.. and thought her birds were fine (since none were bald).. well, I picked one up and showed her the lice nits on the feather shafts. DE is not effective in humid environments like ours. After further inspection it was clear their flock needed better external parasite control.

During a standard molt process (which this doesn't look like with wrong location and angry skin).. most birds go off lay in MY experience. Some will continue laying, that has not been my experience.

Despite being only 2% digestible in their raw form.. feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Diet has a definite effect on feather quality and protein content is not the only factor.. but will not make angry skin. The average 16% protein in most layer feeds is considered the minimum to keep light bodied layers like leghorn in good laying condition.. noting under commercial circumstances.. those nutrients aren't being diminished by things like scratch which is usually around 8% protein or other snacks. Heavier breeds (most brown layers) will do better on 18-20% protein.. Since making the switch.. my elder birds molt softer and recover faster.. Since I don't use "layer" feed, calcium source is available free choice on the side. All the feeds regardless of what they are called on the label.. the major difference is the protein and calcium contents.

Couple quick notes regarding protein.. *most* chicken feeds in my area are vegetarian based.. animal protein is superior to vegetable protein if supplementing.

Do not believe that of others aren't effected there must not be a problem.. they have individual genetics, lay rates, foraging, and bathing/grooming habits.. in studies conducted on backyard chickens here in California. it was shown that 10% of the birds may carry as many as 90% of the parasites. Still.. usually when treating one, it's best to treat all.. And I prefer not to treat without verification.. usually a flash light after dark.. but if I can't verify and all signs are still pointing that direction.. I will treat. Always use your best judgement. For my first 7 years of keeping chickens, I never had to treat for anything. Here things are different with more wild life pressure than when I lived in the city, higher stock density, and different weather patterns and soil conditions.

On a personal level.. I took a gal with missing (pulled) feathers that weren't growing back to my avian veterinarian to verify before I treated if she had depluming mites which are microscopic and live inside the feather shaft and will therefor never be seen by the naked eye.. She was cleared from ALL parasites by the expert.. a few hours later a rooster was going to a new home.. I always check birds before they leave here and treat IF needed to give their best possible start at their new place.. that boy was loaded.. I can't remember if it was norther fowl mites or lice that he was crawling with as it's been several years now. Same flock, same coop, different results. Quick note that some parasites like roost mites.. don't live on the birds but only come out to feed on them at night.. check by running a white paper towel under the roost a few hours after dark.

Now my friend who lived a mile or two away, used DE in her dust baths.. and thought her birds were fine (since none were bald).. well, I picked one up and showed her the lice nits on the feather shafts. DE is not effective in humid environments like ours. After further inspection it was clear their flock needed better external parasite control.

During a standard molt process (which this doesn't look like with wrong location and angry skin).. most birds go off lay in MY experience. Some will continue laying, that has not been my experience.
This is so helpful thank you, what medicine was prescribed for the skin irritation and mites?

Back
Top Bottom