Chickenguard pop door opener, one question?

IdyllwildAcres

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
In the mountains of Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
I am a few days in with my new ChickenGuard door opener and I love it! It has a setting where you can set it to close according to how much light there is. I went out once the girls went to bed, checked the light (LUX number) with the opener and set it to a little lower number and sat in my chair and waited, about five minutes later it shut itself. So now each night it shuts about 10 minutes after they go in. The chickens use their internal light meter to go to bed and the opener waits until it's a bit darker and shuts. I have already been able to go out to dinner and know they will be shut in, I still went and checked and did a head count just because:)

My question for those of you who have these: The clock is a 24 hour (military) clock, yet when I go to set an opening time it only shows a 12 hour clock? I want to set it to open late afternoon like 4:00 so they can get a few hours outside before dark. Right now I have it set on manual open. @chickenguardusa?

Thanks

Gary

Good suggestion. Contact hem directly and see what they recommend. That's probably why you put that link in your post but if you don't get a response fairly quickly, just call the manufacturer or send an email.

I just watched the how-to video. Hopefully that unit is not programmed so that you can only open the door in the AM. But that's what it looks like.

I suspect it's because most folks would want to have their door set to open during the am hours. Can you email them to see if there's a go around?

Yes I can email or call, i called when I was setting it up but no answer on a Saturday.

I was thinking same thing, MOST likely open up in AM but it seems silly to limit choice.

I likely will keep it on manual open, No sense giving the preditors a schedule to follow!

Not sure I want to let them out when I am away from home for a few days, safe where they are:)

I really like the opener, it reliably closes up for me which is my biggest concern.

Thanks

Gary

I was thinking same thing, MOST likely open up in AM but it seems silly to limit choice.

From an American perspective it is very silly, but from my experience that's kind of what you get when buying European engineered products. They have a different mindset and expectations.

I am a few days in with my new ChickenGuard door opener and I love it! It has a setting where you can set it to close according to how much light there is. I went out once the girls went to bed, checked the light (LUX number) with the opener and set it to a little lower number and sat in my chair and waited, about five minutes later it shut itself. So now each night it shuts about 10 minutes after they go in. The chickens use their internal light meter to go to bed and the opener waits until it's a bit darker and shuts. I have already been able to go out to dinner and know they will be shut in, I still went and checked and did a head count just because:)

My question for those of you who have these: The clock is a 24 hour (military) clock, yet when I go to set an opening time it only shows a 12 hour clock? I want to set it to open late afternoon like 4:00 so they can get a few hours outside before dark. Right now I have it set on manual open. @chickenguardusa?

Thanks

Gary

Gary,

Good afternoon. Apologies for the delayed response, we were at SuperZoo pet expo in Las Vegas all last week and I finally returned to Dallas.

You are correct, opening hour range is restricted to the AM hours and closing to the PM hours. However, I've had some customers work around this by setting the time as directly opposite the actual time (i.e. 1 pm as 1:00 instead of 13:00). Which will allow you to set the opening time to 4 pm (i.e. 4:00) and close via the Light Sensor. One such customer who used this was an owl conservatory, where they wanted the door to open at night to let the owls out and close in the morning when the owls returned.

In the future, ChickenGuard is working out a solution for their units to be more flexible on time setting for open/close.

Thank you for your business and so happy you like the unit.

TJ

Gary,

Good afternoon. Apologies for the delayed response, we were at SuperZoo pet expo in Las Vegas all last week and I finally returned to Dallas.

You are correct, opening hour range is restricted to the AM hours and closing to the PM hours. However, I've had some customers work around this by setting the time as directly opposite the actual time (i.e. 1 pm as 1:00 instead of 13:00). Which will allow you to set the opening time to 4 pm (i.e. 4:00) and close via the Light Sensor. One such customer who used this was an owl conservatory, where they wanted the door to open at night to let the owls out and close in the morning when the owls returned.

In the future, ChickenGuard is working out a solution for their units to be more flexible on time setting for open/close.

Thank you for your business and so happy you like the unit.

TJ

Thanks, very clever work around I will use it:)

Gary

Thanks

Gary

What is your lux number set at to open and close the coop door?

Back
Top Bottom