In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
I have 4 Chickens:
A golden lace Polish
Salmon Faverolle and 2 ameraucanas

They have not started laying.

I added a light to extend their exposure now that winter is on the way
they are eating laying feed

What else can I try or how can I tell if they are close?

How old are they in weeks? I find that sometimes one person's idea of "8 months" can be =/- multiple weeks when compared with the "8 months" of the next person and with things like onset of production a couple of weeks can make all the difference.
Your breeds of choice are not particularly fast maturing birds. Are your Ameraucana true bred birds sourced from a reputable breeder or are they "Ameraucana" as sold by most commercial hatcheries which are, in fact, actually Easter Eggers? This will play into point-of-lay as produciton bred birds would be expected to lay sooner than lines of breeder bred birds that have been bred for primary traits other than pure produciton of eggs.
My experience has been that for pullets that first laying cycle is much less dependent on lighting - the supplemental lighting is more beneficial with inducing winter laying in the subsequent laying cycles of mature layers.

Well, I am a newbie. I saw a pullet sized egg one day and then another egg the next day and several identical to it that week. Then the next week I got another pullet sized egg. Since then I get none or one egg and I got two twice. The one girl has layed four double yoked eggs. Am I wrong?

I have the same scenario. Jersey Giants, though. Combs are smaller and wattles slow to develop, but I've offered high-quality feed with supplemental animal protein all along (free fed also). Seems like when you get birds later in Spring, they don't start laying till next maybe?

I'm not really worried per se about mine since they are beautiful and healthy. They'll eventually start laying is my school of thought, when they're ready.

Back
Top Bottom