Chickens all the sudden not roosting

Coveykn

Chirping
Sep 12, 2023
I am having several issues right now. I cleaned my coop last week and put in fresh hay. My girls decided not to go into the coop that Night. So I put them all in by hand. It was freezing cold that night about 30 degrees. Some went straight to the roosting bar but the others just immediately layed in the hay and nesting boxes. I do not heat my coop I am afraid of fire and we don’t have electricity yet to it. It gets to 29-30 at night and mid forties during the day.i haven’t done anything different for my girls. Their coop gets cleaned every two weeks. So now I am getting poop in the nesting box 3 and they are all laying in nest box 4. Box 1 and 2 see absolutely no action as of late. I’m lucky I am still getting 9-11 eggs a day.
what is funny is my guinea are exhibiting the same behavior. I cleaned their coop the same day and they are not wanting to go into the coop either at night.. It is their own coop. They have been so good. They would even go in before the chickens at night. Could it be the hay? something is up I just don’t know what. I need your help. My girls have been the pinnacle of greatness. Now all the sudden wow. Does it hurt them to sleep in the hay at night? I imagine it is warm and toasty for them. I really don’t mind. If they are on the floor that leaves no one on the bar to poop on them. I just don’t want them to get sick by laying on the floor. Any suggestions.

First, they're not likely to get sick by sleeping on the floor in the hay.
So they are still laying in the coop nests, but won't go in at night....or do they go in and all sleep on the floor?

Pics of your coop, inside and out, would help immensely here.
How many birds total?

So they are still laying in the coop nests, but won't go in at night....or do they go in and all sleep on the floor?

How many birds total?
I will get some pics this weekend my brother takes care of them during the week.

How many birds total?
I will check this weekend for mites. Will keep you posted

IMG_0140.jpeg Coop is fine. Just need to expand. The door was malfunctioning is why they didn’t get inside in time to roost. I do have one chicken that sleeps in the nesting box. We got our first roo Saturday he is the big guy and he sleeps on the floor right now. There is no room on the roosts. He will find his place with the girls soon. My husband and brother made the joke that the rooster is telling the girls “the first one of you poops on my head I’m going to beat you up” They are fine but we do plan to expand our coops And put a ladder roost. We will be doing an 8x10 for each bird type. We plan on doing quail also this year. I’m even getting a tack room which I am thrilled about. Sorry I didn’t take picks of the coop. I’m embarrassed of all the poop even though I clean every two weeks. The coops are just to small. I had pics of the back of the coops but I can’t get it to my I-pad. Thank you everyone. Love this chat.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom