Pushing Fake Eggs Out of Nests

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
One of my almost 20 weeks old girls (none of the 5 are laying yet) is pushing the wooden eggs out of the nesting box. Is there any particular reason for this? Other than the obvious of playing soccer, since it was the fake egg in the nest at the very front of the coop, and pushed to the far back of the coop.

I put the eggs in the (3) nests yesterday, one per nest. Late morning when I went out to clean the coop, I noticed the moved egg. I know the girls don't sleep in the nesting boxes as I nightly check on them about 30 minutes after they get settled in to see if everyone is on the roosting bar. They will, every now and then, lay at the front edge of the nest during the day when they are just chilling. There is rarely poop in the nests, so they aren't hanging out there a lot. (I have fake grass nesting pads in the nesting boxes that I can just change out, and keep a washed set ready.)

I plan to watch and see if it keeps happening with just the one nesting box, or if it happens randomly with all of them. I don't know who is doing this, since I don't yet have a camera in the coop.

Got a pic of nests?
Do they have a decent(4-6") front lip on them?
I will have to take a pic, but the lip is 2 inches. Do I need to revise the lip and make it higher?

Also, the last two days they have left the eggs alone.

You may need to if you find eggs (fake and real) and bedding being pushed out.

Thanks. For a while they were pushing the bedding out, then just stopped and haven't in several weeks. I hope the fake egg was a one time thing of someone just being a goof. But I am going to go get the board as soon as I can to make the alteration, just to be on the safe side.

Chickens are naturally curious creatures. They might be investigating the fake egg, especially if it's in a prominent location.
I have discovered that "curious" is an understatement with some. One of my five, Bonnie, is nosey as all get out. lol

She has to see everything you are doing, and as soon as I open any door or gate, she is right there to see what's up!

Back
Top Bottom