Chickens and cats

grandmaof5

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Central N.S.
My girls are not outside on their own yet (they are 9 weeks old), but I'm wondering: at what age/size would neighbourhood cats lose interest in them? They are LF Welsummers. I am thinking ahead to the day I can let them out for a few hours before dusk (after their new coop is finished) as recommmended, but I have 2 cats on each side of our house and 2 across the road, and they all wander at that time of day...can a full-grown hen defend herself against a cat?

I have 2 cats and they have never given my birds any trouble. I think my dominant hen, Rosie, could take care of any cat... she gets up in my dog's face (45 pound Border Collie who could eat Rosie for supper if she wanted).

I have two cats and they are scared of our 9 week old chickens. Of course they are fat, lazy house cats who wouldn't kill a mouse. One snuck out this weekend and I think the chickens almost gave the poor guy a heart attack.

The chickens did not appear too terribly scared of the cat either.

my chickens and cats all live in the same coop together. Never had a problem, they even snuggle up at night together, I should get a pic!
big_smile.png

My chickens were 8 wks when I got them last year. They have been free-ranging ever since. My outside cat who is the best mouser ever, has never looked twice at the chickens. The chickens are not worried about her either.

My girls are about a year old now, and my younger cats STILL haven't lost interest...lol. They have never shown any serious aggression toward the hens, but my male still likes to lurk about and get a rise out of them (my hens pretty much ignore him now). For standard sized birds, I would think chicks would be pretty safe at 14 weeks or so...they seem so vulnerable when they're still peeping, so I'll go by when they get their "chicken" voices...lol.

I have 2 outdoor cats and they have not messed with my chickens or ducks. In fact, one of my cats was chased by my ducks so he is not too thrilled with them at all!
lau.gif
And the other likes to get in the run and hang with them.
hu.gif
Was really concerned when he did that but he has not bothered any of them, just facinated by them, and they just ignore him.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you! I have an older cat who couldn't care less about the chickens, including the 10 weekers. But I have a younger cat who is baaaaaad. I am waiting until my youngest group hits 16 weeks, and then I will try introducing them. My cat is very interested in the chickens, and he is out for a meal. I don't trust him one bit yet.

I have two 17 week old pullets, one is a Barred Rock and I think she will 'take care' of the cat once I do let him out with them. For now, the cat is locked inside from 8am to 8pm, while the chickens are outside. And then he get's let in/out as he pleases from 8pm to 8am. I call it the "Cat Chicken Shuffle" lol.

My younger cat HAS made attempts to catch my easter egger though, so I know he is serious. Wish it were easier, but hopefully once everybody is grown he won't stand a chance.

I have 2 cats around. Our female is 13 yrs old and is not interested in them, even when they were babies. The male is 5 yrs old and our neighbors cat who likes us better and comes to visit every day. He is very sweet. He has been in their run (by accident) and did not hurt them. He sits next to the extended, unprotected run and watches them. He can get in if he wants, but he doesn't. I don't know if he is protecting them or just hanging out with them. However, they went out to free range for the first time yesterday (they are 13 weeks old) and he was stalking them. Hiding behind the bushes, crouching down low. etc. I watched closely just to be sure he didn't do anything stupid. Then he darted out from under the bush and chased them back to the coop. They came back a few minutes later, and he just ignored them. Don't quite get it. So I think it depends on each individual cat. Wish I knew what was going on in his little mind.

Back
Top Bottom