Chickens and cats

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
How do they do? My hens are in a run/coop where they have lived their entire lives (except for when they were in the house in the brooder) We've always kept them contained so they did not roam freely onto our neighbors horse field. He would not have liked that. He recently passed away and his wife does not mind at all. So, I was thinking about letting three or four out in my fenced back yard during the day to eat bugs/fertilize. But I have two outside cats. One is old and can't see good, he won't mess with them or even leave the front porch. The other is a small, but fast tabby cat who often brings me rabbits and squirrel. She may try to get at them.

Will the hens fight back or just run away from her?

Last edited:
Usually they run. But if you have a broody, she'll stand her ground. Some chickens too are curious enough to just walk up to them. That usually freaks cats out and they won't "hunt" chickens any more. Just give it a go and watch and see. If it's constantly "stalking" them, I wouldn't feel safe. But normally cats wont' bother with chickens. They're too big.

My chickens have tough my dogs and cats they rule the roost they attack all of the dogs and cats and now my predators run from my chickens and avoid eye contact, will move when the feathered monsters come walking by. I do have to add I have pet rats also that my killers know are not to be touched the same with teh chickens so it culd just be my house. I would say watch for the frist couple of days to see how everyone acts the older cat may be in for a but wipping though.

It would be the rare cat that will go after an adult LF chicken. I have had a myriad of ferals, strays and pet cats over the years (in my yard) and no problems. Now small chickens or bantams might be at risk.
In the past I had to protect the cats from aggressive hens.

Imp

My cats get along really well with my chickens, including my bantams. I have one in particular who likes to hang out with the chickens, and he hunts squirrels frequently. They do not seem interested in my chicks , once they are about 4 weeks old. I free range some of my birds and I think it helps having the cats out with the birds , along with my dog, while I am at work. It is comical to watch a chicken stare down a cat. I also have a stray cat who spends alot of time here and he never bothers the chickens.

I have 2 cats that pretty much have no interest in my 7 chickens. My cockerel is always watching when they come near and gives the "heads up" call when they get close, but one of my cats is small 6-8lbs and the other is FAT at 14-16 lbs. The pullets are taller than the cats now so they actually approach the cats in pairs or a group to see what they are doing, and the cat usually just walks away like you are bothering me. My cockerel is way bigger than the cats. The cats would never bother him. My 13yr old Australian Shepherd is going blind from cataract and is loosing his hearing. He has no sense of "personal" space and just walks right into the group of chickens, sniffing the ground for poo. My cockerel doesn't even mind him, although he has tried to mount my dog once, he just looked behind him like what are you doing dumby, I am not a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom