Chickens and Dogs got photos?

dlongterry

In the Brooder
6 Years
I would REALLY love to see your photos of your chickens and dogs together. I am needing photos for my blog ( I am new to the blog world :) and FB page. I am currently training several dogs with chickens and I get asked the question daily if they can live together ( I am a dog trainer and behaviorist. I will soon be having a photo contest with a great prize package so if you send me any I will make sure they are in the contest! I am currently running a giveaway for a custom dog collar with cute chickens on it so feel free to enter.

Thanks!
Dana
https://www.facebook.com/LayingHensAndCanineFriends

www.LayingHensAndCanineFriends.com

Not to be morbid, but I also am in need of some not so pretty photos of dogs and chickens - you can email photos to [email protected]

I can get you some photos. We have two red Australian Cattle dogs, Rocky and Ringo, who like to 'herd' our flock. When we first introduced the dogs to the chickens there were a few incidents of the dogs going after the birds as if to kill, but now the dogs seem to like having a job to do in looking after our flock. We let the chickens free-range, and one day while we were out a fox came into the yard and I got home just in time to see it running up the tree line with one of our chickens. Ever since, we barely let the flock out without one of the dogs being in the yard with them. We waited a few months before trying to let them out on their own again, but as soon as we did, that fox came back and got another one of our girls. The next day we had the dogs out with them again. Rocky disappeared, we yelled for him for about five minutes, before he came back with the chicken the fox had killed the day before. He put her little body right in front of the ramp up to the coop as if waiting for her to go in.

Your efforts seem worthier than most. Below are two images of German Pointers (used largely as bird dogs in US) that I am using as poultry guardians. They are fast and smart as needed to control losses to wild predators when chickens are not kept as a single cohesive flock. Red foxes would be my most consistent problem but these guys keep foxes hunting elsewhere most days and catch fox once in a while.

41527_live_stock_guarding_dog_training_2010_december_4.jpg

41527_scoob_give_me_some_tongue_baby_rjf_x_american_game.jpg

Love the photos and Pointers - My dad was a hunting dog trainer (pointers, setters, beagles, coon dogs) but his breed was Pointers and I will own another one in the future they were my favorite! My very first dog was a pointer. Here is the training today with my other dogs - The Bouviers - Zander is doing great! Anika - still thinks Chicken for Dinner :( Chicken freedom may never happen for her!

Zander rounding up the girls :)

He wants to keep an eye on them.

Still herding them ;)

Apparently he thinks they are ok there and he takes a break.

Anika - OH my - I am pretty sure she was saying "MOM PLEASE let me go get it!!" you can see poor Hattie Mae is close, but I do have Anika on leash and under control so the hen is safe.

She is really overly excited about the girls...still a work in progress - She is an excellent herding dog (on sheep and cows) but never really tried ducks because of being over excited so I knew she would be a challenge!

Thanks for all the photos they are GREAT!! Keep them coming! I am also running a contest on my Blog for a Custom Dog Collar so feel free to enter. I will be running contest at least once a month maybe more for some great Dog and Chicken prizes :) http://www.layinghensandcaninefriends.com/2013/03/contest-custom-dog-collar/?fb_source=pubv1

Thanks!!!
Dana

You can check out your photos on our FB page. Feel free to tag yourself if you have a FB page! https://www.facebook.com/LayingHensAndCanineFriends

Back
Top Bottom