Chickens and eyeballs,,,,please be careful

Missouri chick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Homer, GA
I know a lot of people have experienced their chickens curosity of shiny objects. Eyes are one of them . A lot of us have been pecked before. Yesterday, one of my hens was feeling neglected, flew up on my shoulder for attention while I was working in the coop. I turned my head to see her staring at me and knew the instant she did it what was going to happen but couldn't turn away fast enough. Long story short, I wound up at the emergency clinic this morning with an infected eye and a good cornial scratch. My eye was almost swollen shut this morning, but doing MUCH better now with meds. Still swollen and sore---I'm missing a wedding going on right now, but I'll see pics later. I'm also having to wear an eye patch for a couple of days. HOW EMBARASSING!!! The worst was telling the doctor why I was there. I know the injury is serious, but we were all laughing. I guess it gave them something to talk about today. (Hey you gotta hear about this redneck injury today.....)
gig.gif

Gosh this has been happening alot lately! I hope you get well soon. I learned my lesson with one of my chicks. She pecked at me and in an instant I shut my eyes and she got my eyelid. No more getting THAT close.

My sympathies on the injury that will make me think twice now about lettting mine get to close to my face. Not that it reaaly matters but what kind was it?

Winny is a Wyandotte, she truely wasn't being mean. It's really more my own fault. I've raised her from a chick, she's one of the sweetest birds.

Missouri Chick- Sorry to hear about your eye injury. I glad you're going to be okay. You should PM Miss_Jayne She has recent experience with eye pecking. In fact I think she is designing a new wardrobe based on her experience.

Back
Top Bottom