Chickens and lawn mowers

sbriant

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
I'm gonna get chickens soon. every few weeks the gardener comes and mowes our lawn.thats gonna terrify the chickens, right? what should i do? i have a pretty big yard but i was wondering if 4 chickens would be enough to "mow" the lawn instead of a machine. any suggestions? thanks.

Last edited:
My chickens usually run into their coop when I mow close to their run and come out when I'm done. They aren't bothered by it when I'm mowing areas way from it.

Unless you have jungle fowl or are crazy with lawn equipment the chickens will be calm around a mower although free-range birds may try to avoid mower. Avoid blasting discharge at confined birds.

thanks!
thumbsup.gif

My gardener has never even seen my chickens as they avoid the machines and go out the the paddock! The Fluffies (silkies) put themselves to bed when he visits, they don't like the noise - when the tree lopper came the Fluffies spent and hour or two in the shower recess to wait him out!

when we mow the taller sections of the yard, the chickens follow about 10 feet behind the mower gathering the bugs that get kicked up. Otherwise, they just move out of the way and otherwise ignore the mower.

Back
Top Bottom