Chickens and the flu...

NoNameHomestead

Chirping
Jan 3, 2018
Sumter, SC
In the last week my family of 5 have come down with the flu.. The only bright side to this is, it is not as bad as what most are talking about, however it is the flu. With that being said, with all of us being sick there hasn't been anyone to depend on to feed/water the chickens except myself. While talking to a friend (over the phone) I mentioned that I just came in from feeding them. His response was "I thought you said that you had the flu," to which I replied "umm yes I do, but the chickens still need to eat, chores are chores." I say all that to ask when your whole family is down with the sickness, do you have someone come over to help? Or do you suck it up and take care of the chores? Also, thanks for listening, needed a little vent session too.

So sorry about your sickness! We have a large family, so there is always someone to take care of our large flock. But when sickness comes, it can get hard to just suck it up and take care of them.
But as long as they have fresh food and water, have enough space (as ours do), and their coop isn't dirty, they're always fine as long as I just check on them a couple of times a day. If I put my mind to it, going out to tend to them usually only takes about 5 minutes.

If your sickness gets bad enough, you could call a friend and ask them. We have friends who are always letting us know that they'll do something if need be.

I hope you that you get over this sickness fast! Best wishes! :hugs

Last edited:
I was raised the same way. I guess his question rubbed me the wrong way. I felt like he was insuating that I didn’t have the flu.

I completely understand! :hugs

I am just recovering from the flu myself... it hit bad during our worst cold snap too... my other half works away from home, and we don't have nearby friends to lean on at all... sucked awful, but I had to do the same thing... feed, water, refresh bedding... rewater multiple times a day due to freezing... ugh!

Unfortunately, more and more people aren't being raised with the same values as before... in my house, the animals get their food before the people... since they can't just pop the fridge open and help themselves... but that's just my ethical and moral mindset...

Hey NoNameHomestead I hope you and your family are feeling much better very soon! :hugs

May be he has the luxury of staying in bed when he has the flu?

I can’t remember a time when we were all down sick but I know when I am sick I still look after the chickens and cats and leave the humans to look after themselves!

I trust that they will remember to feed themselves but do not trust them to remember to feed the chickens and cats and even if they did, they would not do it properly ;)

I did spend one week in hospital which was the longest week of my life .. I asked hubby every day how the pets were and was he feeding them and changing their water etc. They survived but the care level was less than usual :hmm That one week in hospital is the one and only time I have taken to a bed and stayed there when sick.

So yeah, unless I literally can not walk or am not there, I suck it up; my babies need me :love

And, looking after the pets is a good way to take your mind off the fact that you feel like death warmed up :D :p

As @Ravynscroft said - animals first. It's how I was raised. My mother was a stolid rather unemotional German, but we were raised on an animals first doctrine. To her it made sense. If you don't have the animals, you don't have anything to eat.

As to your question, it's just the Princess and me. The critters are mine, and my responsibility. If I have occasion to be away or twice after surgeries she takes care of things. :hugs After that I have a friend that will help or if push comes to shove I can hire an animal caretaker.

Take care of yourself. This is a nasty flu bug and can recur.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, hope everyone is better soon.

Around here, I take care of our house cats and the chickens. DH could if I was totally incapacitated or away for a length of time, but I figure I'm the one that wanted them the most so it's up to me.

Back
Top Bottom