Chickens and Ticks

indego_88

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Australia
How do you stop chickens getting ticks on them...?

Sadly last night my chicken wasnt looking too good, we had a look at her and found a paralysis tick on her, poor thing died that night
sad.png

I live in quite a bushy area in Australia where ticks are quite common. Is there any way i can prevent my other chickens getting ticks?

Oh my gosh that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear that. We are infested here with Ticks in the Northeast but I have never heard of a paralysis tick. What is that?

My husband and I both had Lyme's disease at the same time but I have never seen a tick on my chickens. I guess it is just hard to see under all those feathers.

I am not sure what to suggest about your problem....maybe dusting with food grade DE.

Since I got chickens I haven't seen any ticks and wondering if it is because they are eating them all.

a paralysis tick is a deadly australian tick... they are horrible
mine had one on her head so that couldn't have been good at all.
yer i think il try dusting them or their food with something.

haha i havent come across anything like that before! but yess there are a lot of deadly things. Nothing to be afraid of though, most people wont even come across them. More likely they are more scared of you. I have lived near the bush all my life and nothing has ever happened to me. BUt i guess if your not used to it, its fair enough your wary!

Back
Top Bottom