Chickens Arctic Conditions Prolonged Period

It is Jan 28, 2013 4F with a windchill of -16F in Canada today. These Arctic conditions will linger another couple days according to the weather forecast.

We are supposed to have a temperature +46F with rain on Wednesday according to the weather man.

I will be going out directly to check on my flock they have been doing well so far (my 6 Golden Comet eggs production was 3 egg yesterday).

It had warmed up somewhat yesterday but not warm enough for the girls to venture out of the coop. That being said the girls are very vocal and active.

Last edited:
We got a good snow during the night, now it's warmed up with freezing rain. The schools have closed because of driving conditions, looks like we're in for an interesting day. supposed to hit 50 here in Mich. this week, then 2 days later be in the single digits again.

Speaking of snow; With Ground Hog day just around the corner I remember this Guinness World Record storm in Moncton where I live.

I am not positive however I think Newfoundland now owns this record (not by much if they do). As far as yours truly is concerned they can keep it.

Last edited:
It is Jan 29, 2013 +8F with a windchill of -6F in Canada today. The Arctic conditions are just about done according to the weather forecast.

We are supposed to have a temperature +25F today with rain on Wednesday and a temperature of +41 according to the weather man.

I will be going out directly to check on my flock they did well so far (my 6 Golden Comet eggs production was 1 egg yesterday).

It had warmed up somewhat yesterday but not warm enough for the girls to venture out of the coop. That being said the girls are very vocal and active. I will open the pop door today and also some ventilation ports.

Last edited:
WIND WARNING IN EFFECT
It is Jan 30, 2013 it is currently +25F with a wind chill of +14
Schools are closed in New Brunswick Canada.
Cloudy. Snow beginning this morning then changing to ice pellets then changing to periods of rain this afternoon. Risk of freezing rain early this afternoon. Snow and ice pellet amount 2 to 4 cm. Rainfall amount 2 mm. Wind becoming south 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High plus 40F.

This is not really a weather forecast as such it basically tries to cover all the possibilities that might happen this time of year.This will be a welcome relief for the hens after all the Arctic conditions as of late.

I will be going out directly to check on my flock they did well so far (my 6 Golden Comet eggs production was 3 egg yesterday).

It had warmed up somewhat yesterday but not warm enough for the girls to venture out of the coop. That being said the girls are happy & active. I will opened the pop door today and also some ventilation ports.

Last edited:
We had out school closings, rain,fog, snow mix on monday. Temps were in the 50's on tuesday with rain. It rained all night last night, all the snow is gone and replaced with what looks like a lake on my property. One week ago today the temps were single digit, and below 0 at night. Tomorrow is supposed to be below freezing with snow and the same for friday. Gotta love michigan weather.

Not a bad day yesterday, my chicken water didn't freeze at all:)

Today, really foggy this am, but WARM WARM WARM! Almost 50! Tonite we are in for some heavy rains and high winds, keeping my fingers crossed the 'trees' that were supposed to be taken down months ago, don't decide to 'fall' tonite:((

Extreme Cold Prolonged Period is Over!

WIND WARNING IN EFFECT

It is Jan 31, 2013 it is currently +54F.

Periods of rain. Amount 5 to 10 mm. Fog patches. Wind south 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming southwest 60 gusting to 90 except gusting to 110 in the Tantramar Marsh area this afternoon. High 12 with temperature falling to +45F this afternoon.

Tonight
Periods of rain ending this evening then clearing. Fog patches dissipating this evening. Wind southwest 40 km/h gusting to 60. Low minus +44F.

This will be a welcome relief for the hens after all the Arctic conditions as of late.

I will be going out directly to check on my flock they did well so far (my 6 Golden Comet eggs production was 3 egg yesterday).

It had warmed up somewhat yesterday but not warm enough for the girls to venture out of the coop. That being said the girls are happy & active and should go out today in a perfect world. I will open the pop door today and also all ventilation ports.

This will be my last post on this thread for a time I thought BYC might find it interesting to see what happens in

Quote:

under extreme cold temperatures for a prolonged period of time.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are keeping some ventilation open all the time now, but did you notice any issues when that poop thawed? Either moisture or ammonia related?

Many many years ago, I spent a year in the army in a country in the Far East that used human manure as fertilizer. Our base was a bit out in the country. The ground froze in November and thawed in March. For about a week or two after it thawed, there was a certain smell in the air...........

Don't you love this warmth?! It was +14C this morning on my way to work. I can see GRASS! You say the Extreme cold is over... I sure hope so. I would love not having to do chores in -30 again.

Where are you in Canada?

Over here near Moncton NB.

Back
Top Bottom