chickens are bad investments!

I have chickens, ducks and geese. It is absolutely the worst financial investment that I have ever made. However, it is right up on top of the emotional and spiritual investments in my life. I retired and moved to the country, to a farm, not to get rich or even to supplement my retirement. I did it for the peace and tranquility it provides. I am healthier and more at peace than I can remember being in all the years that I busted my ... for a living...and I made a good living but at a price. I would not trade this for anything and if I ever catch myself making the move to make it a profitable enterprise I hope I have enough since to kick myself in the can.

My goal was to have the egg sales cover, at least, the cost of their feed along with all the eggs I can eat.

That has worked out good, and some months it covers the cost of the bedding and oyster shell too.

I knew it wouldn't cover the cost of building the coops and runs....
.......realistic expectations will deter disappointments.

Last edited:
The free ranging sets off alarms for me. Try confining your birds for a week or so and see if you need to go on an egg hunt.

Someone asked me the other day if it was worth it to raise chickens instead of buying eggs. I explained to them my first carton of eggs will be around $200-300. That is also a lot cheaper than paying an exterminator to come spray my house for spiders and other bugs that are always getting on my plants and in my house. Plus i figure i am spending $40.00 a month feeding wild birds who give me nothing so why not spend the same and get eggs.

The free ranging sets off alarms for me. Try confining your birds for a week or so and see if you need to go on an egg hunt.
That makes sense….and is true around my place. I will find under bushes and hidy holes clutches of eggs or a hen with a few chicks…….. Forage is seasonal, and they may have a harder time finding good protein and calcium and other nutrients. What they get fed ( even bagged food) does affect their egg production too….Yes, young pullets may hold off till closer to spring, some breeds are seasonal layers rather than year around.
I alternate pens for free ranging because thou my husband loves that they eat all the bugs AND the carpenter ants, he's not happy with the torn up flower beds from dust bathing and poopy sidewalk.
With feed going up so much i have added Beer Mash and they love it, but unless you have equal portions of good layer, you will have weighty chickens but minimal eggs because its not balanced even with free ranging.
I don't wish the liability of selling food stuff like eggs, but feed back the abundance cooked and crushed. I sell an occasional bird but not even close to paying for the wonderful peacfulness i get from watching them.

Each individual has to make the decision...is this because I am a hobby farmer or am I running a business here. Being a hobby farmer means that like any hobby you will spend way too much money for the enjoyment of the hobby and it's rewards will be purely personal and not profitable. If you go the direction of a business then you need a plan/model to work toward and it will involve perhaps hundreds if not thousands of chickens, massive barns/coops, equipment, permits and inspections, all that stuff that takes the fun out of it but will leave you with potentially a profit.

Back
Top Bottom