Chickens attacked by hawk

dmc2309

In the Brooder
May 27, 2019
Upstate NY
So my chickens fought off a hawk this morning long enough for me to get out there and help them. They both survived. The hawk.... well that’s another story. They seem ok but what do I do now? Should I take preventative measures and get some sort of antibiotics just in case they are hurt and I can’t see it? Do I not eat the eggs for a while? Any advice is appreciated

So my chickens fought off a hawk this morning long enough for me to get out there and help them. They both survived. The hawk.... well that’s another story. They seem ok but what do I do now? Should I take preventative measures and get some sort of antibiotics just in case they are hurt and I can’t see it? Do I not eat the eggs for a while? Any advice is appreciated
Do the chickens have any injuries.
If they do can you post some pictures of the injuries here. It will help people give the appropriate advice.

Do the chickens have any injuries.
If they do can you post some pictures of the injuries here. It will help people give the appropriate advice.
They seem to be superficial wounds

Attachments

• B88955D3-B76A-437F-9FEB-46399D61F30A.jpeg
    B88955D3-B76A-437F-9FEB-46399D61F30A.jpeg
    867.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 504282B1-8D6D-436C-B5DC-A73D2EC3E8CD.jpeg
    504282B1-8D6D-436C-B5DC-A73D2EC3E8CD.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 9
  • D6967571-A36B-4F8C-A1D2-087066389991.jpeg
    D6967571-A36B-4F8C-A1D2-087066389991.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 8
Check them over really really good under their feathers. Hawks like to bite and tear where big pieces of flesh are, like the back, breast, legs.
Wash off their injuries with an antiseptic. Spray their injuries with Vetricyn or an antiseptic spray if you have it. Respray every day for a while, and make sure their cuts stay clean.
They will be shocky and skittish for a while. They may not lay for a couple of days. Keep an eye out for other injuries that show themselves later on.
No antibiotics unless one of them has a gaping wound.
Is this your first hawk attack? If so, read up on hawks. Even though the one hawk might not be around, others will be back if your chickens are easy pickings. You got really lucky this time so I would consider it a warning. A small hawk can very easily kill a regular sized hen.
Hawks are also a protected federal species so be careful.

They seem to be superficial wounds
Clean the injuries with Chlorhexedine. The spray is best and can be bought at most chemists.
It needs to stay in contact with the wound for about 20 seconds.
I can see nothing in those pictures that looks like a serious wound. If they are cleaned properly and you keep an eye on the hens then I wouldn't administer antibiotics.
You can in the US but triple antibiotic ointment though and if you can get this then use it on the wounds.
Given the pictures it doesn't look as if the hens are likely to have internal injuries.
What you do need to check for very carefully are talon wounds which may be small but deep.
Check under wings in particular and around the hens shoulders. Such wounds are easy to miss.

Check them over really really good under their feathers. Hawks like to bite and tear where big pieces of flesh are, like the back, breast, legs.
Wash off their injuries with an antiseptic. Spray their injuries with Vetricyn or an antiseptic spray if you have it. Respray every day for a while, and make sure their cuts stay clean.
They will be shocky and skittish for a while. They may not lay for a couple of days. Keep an eye out for other injuries that show themselves later on.
No antibiotics unless one of them has a gaping wound.
Is this your first hawk attack? If so, read up on hawks. Even though the one hawk might not be around, others will be back if your chickens are easy pickings. You got really lucky this time so I would consider it a warning. A small hawk can very easily kill a regular sized hen.
Hawks are also a protected federal species so be careful.
This is great info thank you!!

Clean the injuries with Chlorhexedine. The spray is best and can be bought at most chemists.
It needs to stay in contact with the wound for about 20 seconds.
I can see nothing in those pictures that looks like a serious wound. If they are cleaned properly and you keep an eye on the hens then I wouldn't administer antibiotics.
You can in the US but triple antibiotic ointment though and if you can get this then use it on the wounds.
Given the pictures it doesn't look as if the hens are likely to have internal injuries.
What you do need to check for very carefully are talon wounds which may be small but deep.
Check under wings in particular and around the hens shoulders. Such wounds are easy to miss.
Thank you!!

Wow those are some courageous hens! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom