Chickens belly red and irritated

That looks to me like a brood patch. Do they show any signs of broodiness, such as spending a lot of time in the nesting boxes, walking around puffed up, angrily squawking?
Sometimes they are up in the nesting boxes but then that is where their food is, and I have never really heard these hens squawk much. And I guess I really haven't been paying much attention if they are puffed up, I will have to look. Is there anything you can do to help it get better?

Sometimes they are up in the nesting boxes but then that is where their food is, and I have never really heard these hens squawk much. And I guess I really haven't been paying much attention if they are puffed up, I will have to look. Is there anything you can do to help it get better?
If it is a brood patch there isn't anything you need to do. I've actually never checked to see how long a hen has had her brood patch after being or attempting to be broody. I suppose it's there till the next moult? Maybe someone else knows.

If it is a brood patch there isn't anything you need to do. I've actually never checked to see how long a hen has had her brood patch after being or attempting to be broody. I suppose it's there till the next moult? Maybe someone else knows.
Okay, Thank you!!

I was wondering if it was mites but was not sure what the best way to check for them? If it is mites, it is still okay to be eating their eggs?
You check them in their warm spots like under their wings. I like to check under their hackles. When you move the feathers to check, you need to be constantly watching because they like to hide. Also, be sure to check more than one hen. It is still safe to eat their eggs, though I don't recommend hatching them because the mites could be on the eggs as well.

You check them in their warm spots like under their wings. I like to check under their hackles. When you move the feathers to check, you need to be constantly watching because they like to hide. Also, be sure to check more than one hen. It is still safe to eat their eggs, though I don't recommend hatching them because the mites could be on the eggs as well.
Okay, thank you! I will look to see if I see anything. If it is mites what is the best thing to do for that?

Back
Top Bottom