Chickens & cats

Texasrebel67

Hatching
Jan 29, 2020
I'm new at raising chickens & just found that one of my hens is laying. My chickens aren't penned up so every day is like an Easter egg hunt..lol. well like I said I found a nest so I've been keeping an eye on it..1
To see which hen it is ...2. Make sure nothing is messing with it. Well when I checked on it this morning the stray cat that showed up was laying on it. It will get off so hen can lay an egg but will get back on when hen leaves. Is this normal for a cat to do this. Any advice will be appreciated.

Should I be worried about the cat or just let it be til hen starts to sit....right now it is just now laying eggs.

Should I be worried about the cat or just let it be til hen starts to sit....right now it is just now laying eggs.
I suppose it's up to you. If the hen isnt sitting on the nest constantly nothing will hatch and the eggs will start to get old and rot. I personally would throw the eggs out, it could potentially attract a bad predator.

I dont think the cat poses any threat. It might just be cold. If you're wanting the hen to hatch chicks, chase it away. Cats eat little chicks.

Back
Top Bottom