Chickens eating foam insulation!

I just found my chickens pecking at some pink foam. I removed the foam but are the eggs going to be safe to eat?

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Do your best to not let them eat the insulation. It can cause impactions in the crop or gizzard. Good that you have already removed it.

However yes, the eggs will be safe to eat. :)

quote name="mach3107" url="/t/215857/chickens-eating-foam-insulation/10#post_16135073"]I just found my chickens pecking at some pink foam. I removed the foam but are the eggs going to be safe to eat?
[/quote]

I think my chickens have issues
idunno.gif
They have started pecking and eating (although not too much) the pink foam insulation that is on the top of the inside of the coop.
They will seek out Styrofoam gobble down cups at the slightest opportunity. I am sure some of my hens would have died if it was anyway lethal to them. Guess I have been lucky never had any issues by practice due diligence when it fist happened.

Last edited:
I had lined my entire henhouse with foil backed foam board insulation and the girls started eating the foam. I stapled cardboard over everything they could reach. That was a couple weeks ago, and none of them is bothering the cardboard. However, mice are nesting behind the foam and chewing it from the back. I caught two in a live trap, to avoid injuring chickens in a snap trap. Hopefully I'll get them all.

Mine will eat Styrofoam, don't understand why, it can't taste good at all. If grandkids leave a soda cup outside she will be all over it. New rule is NO STYROFOAM! Was worried it might make her sick but she was fine.

My hens have been under the front porch a lot for the last few days. I thought they were seeking shelter from the crummy weather and enjoying the loose dirt. I watched them go under this morning as soon as I let them out of the coop. and sure enough, they were all pecking the foam insulation!!! I blocked access to the area, and now I'm seeing that I'm not alone. I hope they don't suffer any long lasting problems - I have no idea how much they got. It seems like everyone here knows the way I'm feeling! Thanks for helping me see that my girls aren't alone in their apparent death wish...
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom