Chicken's eating poop

Chickartforever

Songster
Nov 7, 2015
My personal Dream world
So, we have four chickens, two to three years old. They got along fine. One ate the eggs for a little while, but we managed to make her stop. But now they are eating their own poop! Can I put pepper spray on the poop or something to discourage them? Help!

I will preface this with, I have no idea I am new here...
hu.gif

That being said the first thing that comes to mind is their feed, are they getting what they need?

The second thing that comes to mind is ewe, don't kiss them!

Chickens eat everything it seems

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

chickens sometimes do that. Many animals eat feces to recycle the nutrients left behind, and also to repopulate their guts with beneficial bacteria. Our medical profession is now wising up and using fecal transplants to cure difficult cases of C-Diff! But, I wonder if they are lacking some vital nutrients in their feed. Just b/c they are getting a balanced feed, it does not mean that all of their nutrient needs are being met. You might try putting them on a higher protein formulation, give them access to a compost pile, start doing deep litter in their coop and run, give them some animal protein. Try Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Pepper spray won't stop them. They don't have taste receptors for that.

Last edited:
chickens sometimes do that. Many animals eat feces to recycle the nutrients left behind, and also to repopulate their guts with beneficial bacteria. Our medical profession is now wising up and using fecal transplants to cure difficult cases of C-Diff! But, I wonder if they are lacking some vital nutrients in their feed. Just b/c they are getting a balanced feed, it does not mean that all of their nutrient needs are being met. You might try putting them on a higher protein formulation, give them access to a compost pile, start doing deep litter in their coop and run, give them some animal protein. Try Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Pepper spray won't stop them. They don't have taste receptors for that.
Wouldn't they feel the pepper spray on their feet though?

Egg eating is usually sign of lack of protein. If you are giving them a quality chicken feed, I'd ask what and how much you're giving them as 'treats'. Folks can over-treat their chickens so they aren't eating enough of their feed. It's like letting kids eating candy and junk food before dinner and then they don't eat enough 'good' food off the dinner plate.

Back
Top Bottom