Chickens fighting all of a sudden??

Hey everyone! I’ll try an catch you up on the issue. I raised 2 chicks that are now 6 months old and added them to my original flock of 5. Everything has been fine. One of the girls in my original flock never liked the new ones and she will bite and chase them but overall everyone was fine and the two younger had each other but now one of the younger ones is attacked the other young one. She will literally chase her around the yard to bite her. I feel so bad for her now cause she has no one and keeps trying to cuddle with her sister and keeps getting attacked. She won’t even let her roost next to her. In fact this one chicken won’t let anyone roost next to her. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this common? When they go to bed it’s always a disaster now with so much screaming and fighting going on and I’m having to rearrange them next to other chickens to stop fighting. Am I just being too sensitive to their chicken drama or is this not normal? I just want them all to be happy and healthy and it’s killing me to hear them scream when getting built. They have a nice large coop and they free range from morning to night in the yard so I don’t think boredom/too tight a space is the problem. Any ideas to help?

Are these two laying? If not the one biting is about to start.
They get unreasonably mean a couple weeks before.:)
They are both laying! The meanness from the one came out of nowhere it seems like. She won’t even let anyone roost next to her anymore. But she’s so nice to us humans so idk what her problem is

I like the person who suggested getting a rooster! Our rooster breaks all the fights up quick and is really a great peacekeeper. He does a great job. There is a lot of pecking going on but they all have sleep buddies and all stays pretty orderly. I really believe it is because of our roaster.

I like the person who suggested getting a rooster! Our rooster breaks all the fights up quick and is really a great peacekeeper. He does a great job. There is a lot of pecking going on but they all have sleep buddies and all stays pretty orderly. I really believe it is because of our roaster.
I already have a rooster, he doesn’t seem to be helping lol he screams when they attack each other but doesn’t really do anything else lol

I already have a rooster, he doesn’t seem to be helping lol he screams when they attack each other but doesn’t really do anything else lol
sounds like you need a better rooster, my main rooster don't put up with it, nor from the maturing cockerels either, he will let it go once then steps in and is still a very people/hen friendly rooster. he will put culprit on the ground for submission without actually hurting them, then goes about his business.

Is there plenty of roost space? Mine fight about premium roost space.
All I can advise is to make sure your lowest girl has plenty of places to hide if she needs to.
I agree about the girls getting cranky just as they are getting ready to lay. But this doesn't apply to your case, does it, OP?

not sure your flock, do you have a rooster in it? they usually break it up if one is being harassed, I had to break down and get a rooster when my alpha hen was killed by a 2 legged varmint trying to steal her eggs she was just about ready to hatch, because hens alone couldn't decide who was the new alpha and couldn't take their doing that for extended period of time. Besides their hormones are probably kicking in if it's jsut the 2 sisters
That’s what I was thinking.... Before I read they were both laying.

Is there plenty of roost space? Mine fight about premium roost space.
All I can advise is to make sure your lowest girl has plenty of places to hide if she needs to.
I agree about the girls getting cranky just as they are getting ready to lay. But this doesn't apply to your case, does it, OP?
I have two roost in their coop. One was for my original flock and the other the two little ones would use. But now the one that is being mean won’t let anyone roost next to her so the other is having to sleep with the big girls so it’s been a disaster lol I need to make a third roost I guess ... and no that’s not the case with me. Everyone is laying eggs

there is nothing wrong with the younger one roosting up with the older girls, maybe her sister has alpha hen mentality and don't dare take on the older girls
Yeah I wouldn’t have an issue with it but the older girls don’t really want her roosting with them either unfortunately. I find her below the roost sleeping in the shavings in the morning. I have some mean girls I guess lol

Back
Top Bottom