Chickens fighting all of a sudden??

We had this issue briefly. Here's how we solved it. Take the bully out and put her on the floor in a wire dog crate but keep the crate in the coop so she is still part of the flock, she just can't bully anyone. Keep her there 3 nights, then watch to see how she does. If she bullies again, repeat 3 more nights. We did not have to repeat a third time. She had an attitude adjustment. No more problems!
Having a very similar issue with my flock of 11. I have a cockerel, he's big but he's not old enough or confidant enough to feel comfortable stepping in with the fighting. I'm going to try this method and see if it helps. Fingers crossed!:fl

Actually, the bullying is taking place while free ranging. The bully will chase her across the yard and jump on her like a roo would, and peck the feathers out of her neck. Of course, the victim acts like a victim, running here and there, sneaking back to the feed bowl, lingering behind. I may try crating the bully during free range time, but having the crate outside in the shade.
Keep us posted! I'll be trying the crating at night for my bully brahma who insights battle royal cage matches in the coop every night. If it works on my end I'll let you know.;)

I'm not trying to be, or even want to be a chicken expert, but I'm the foremost here in central California. For you beebees... Chickens were around way before us, and will still be around long after we are gone. What I do, is just love what God gave me for the moment. 9 hens I love very much! Some are to old to lay but they are family to me and I love them as much as my own children.... That's what BYC was created for

Based on their age, my guess is that they will start laying soon and are getting their teenage hormones. I had two birds that suddenly began squawking and next things I knew, their combs developed to the point of beginning to flop (leghorns) over and they started laying at about the same age as your chicks.
Similar set up as your's with free range during the day and cooped at night.
There is always a pecking order and some hens are meaner than others. Fortunately at this time I have two coops (because a neighbor had to get rid of hers due to a transfer.) I have been separating them at night but during the day, they have to deal with the older hens. No blood so far, but definitely some bossing around. If I am there when it happens, I might pick up the threatened chicken and put her up away from the attacker.
It sounds pretty normal for chickens. Hang in there.

You could look into getting the biting hens some pintail peepers. It's blinders, like horses wear, but for chickens. If a chicken can't see, they won't peck. And they are red, which distracts the chickens eyes to focus on the blinders. They can see to the side but not straight on/forward. They can still eat & drink but un able to chase & peck. Google and read about pintail peepers... Goodluck!

Are these two laying? If not the one biting is about to start.
They get unreasonably mean a couple weeks before.:)
Hi there. Thanks for that info. I've got three that are beyond the pecking order standoffs - they are just mean. I'm thinking possibly a hot stew pot may assist their frayed nerves and mine. you see, there are seven RIR sisters and an eight-month-old RIR cockerel. Actually, two of the "bullies" just started laying "quail egg-sized nuggets. Thanks to your info I'll try to be a little more patient but this is their last respite. For their sake, I thank you again for that tidbit. Happy Clucking.

Doesn't sound like any rooster I've ever seen. Sounds more like a punk sissy hanging around till he gets to help make some Roo Stew.
I think your problem might be that you need MORE CHICKENS! The more you have, the more they form their own little tribes. There's still pecking order but when there's more chickens, there's more going on to distract them from picking on one particular bird.
You Need More Chickens! :gig
I totally agree, you need more chickens!! I just in intigrated some ones born in May, same problem, so they were sleeping in the nest boxes and on the floor. Nest boxes are a no no for me. So for quite a few days I snuck in after dark, fairly late, and bodily moved them to a roost, it finally worked, even if I did lose some sleep, running aorund in my pj's in the dark.

I gave up on 'production reds', including the hatchery RIRs, years ago, because many of them were feather picking little beasts. They moved to other flocks, with full disclosure, because they weren't good in my mixed breed flock.
Always work toward peace out there!
Mary
Now tthat you all have mentioned the breed, I remember a while ago that I had a RIR that was mean as a junk yard dog. She went to the neighbors. Good ridence

Hi there. Thanks for that info. I've got three that are beyond the pecking order standoffs - they are just mean. I'm thinking possibly a hot stew pot may assist their frayed nerves and mine. you see, there are seven RIR sisters and an eight-month-old RIR cockerel. Actually, two of the "bullies" just started laying "quail egg-sized nuggets. Thanks to your info I'll try to be a little more patient but this is their last respite. For their sake, I thank you again for that tidbit. Happy Clucking.
It shouldn't be long and the Fairy Eggs will be replaced by regular eggs. Some hens may take a little while to work out the kinks when they first start laying. Once they they become "regular" in laying, a lot of the fighting should be worked out. It's just what chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom