Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Amen and Amen, Sista!!!
lol.png

I've enjoyed following this thread. I'm an OT in age - but not when it comes to chickens. I've had chickens less than a year - and this thread is exactly what I need. When I look at the dust and poop in my chicken house, I wonder how all those chicken coops I've seen on BYC with mural'ed walls and curtained nest boxes look after the chickens have been in them a while. I enjoy my chickens, and they've been good for me - both physically and mentally.

Beekissed - off topic - but I just downloaded The Long Tomorrow to my Kindle after seeing the tagline on your posts. I've been reading it for the past couple hours. Kinda funny to think of reading that particular book on a Kindle.

Back to the topic: So what do the OTs think of using DE?

Quote:
As a new guy, I have both. A 2x4 mounted flat, and a tree branch mounted diagonally in a smallish 6x4 coop.

Our birds will always opt for the tree branch. Also have one out in the run. They love it.

The thought about covering cold feet is bunk, IMO.

Edited to add: Al, not many people know what a staub is.

Last edited:
I like it alright, I use it............ maybe I go through a 50lb bag a yr. it's good stuff, I am in.

OK OTs here's a tichy-touchy subject that hasn't been touched upon here except on the periphery, but which has been the subject of lively debate on other threads: Ways to Deal With Human Aggressive Chickens (not to mention chickens that are aggressive to other chickens.) I suspect many, if not most chicken owners will one day encounter such a being. It would be good to enshrine some very practical, down to earth, time-tested and mother approved methods on this thread. Just in case it becomes sticky.
pop.gif

Quote:
Try this link, I think you will find exactly what your looking for, and it the OT's way of doing it. it is also kinda entertaining.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=573517

Yep, Al. That's exactly the one I was referring to!
clap.gif
"Kinda entertaining"? Epic battles? Charmin chickens? Chicken therapy?? It was a riot!!
lau.gif
My fav thread on BYC to date. I was sorry that it sorta pooped out. Wasn't that a time!? BTW, my hen I had to wrangle with has been fine ever since!!

Quote:
I cull heavily for things such as lack of parasite and disease resistance. I've noticed that some chickens seem to get mites while others won't be effected. Same with worms and disease, including cocci. Rather than deworming or giving lots of medicines, I choose breeds that are known for resistance and expect them to perform. My birds are part of my food chain. I don't want to be eating chemicals and antibiotics, which is part of why I go through the trouble of raising my own meat and eggs.

Whew!mFinally caught up to the end of this...I loved the roo tale Al...it was fun to read! This OT advice is kinda catchy--after all it is (mostly) the truth! Looking forward to reading more...one thing I would like someone to expound on is the use of food die to see what hen is laying what! Someone mentioned using dye in the vent for this purpose a few pages back...thanks.
Terri O

Thanks all who have posted. I really enjoyed this thread. I have not had chickens that long, three years going on four. I keep froo froo and rare breeds and some special project varieties, and sell chicks, started birds and hatching eggs. Five things I'd say that haven't been said too many times already.... okay, six, no, seven!
lol.png

If you breed for specific traits... Keep at least one backup rooster for each type. Always, and be growing out a third one just in case. The good thing is, if it turns out you don't need them, they taste exactly like chicken.

If you breed silkies, and want to be less in the red, get better silkies.

Saving on feed... keep the sparrows out, and cover it.rodent proof it at night. Keep rodent bait out at all times.

How much does a chicken eat? As much as it wants. Period. If you have to cut pennies, cut your flock instead.

If you want to improve your flock, hatch a LOT of chicks, and cull hard. I try to keep my hens down to just the best half dozen or less per variety.

Learn how to work your incubator right before you go sticking eggs in it. When chicks develop, toward the end, they throw off quite a bit of heat and carbon dioxide. They can overheat and/or suffocate in too small of an incubator. Sometimes less is more.

If you are not zoned for poultry, don't get them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom