Chickens for Dummies

HOPEhouse Chicky Ranchero

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2023
FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.. .. ..
sample template you can copy and paste into your post to help the introduction juices flow:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
So, I have zero chickens yet but have inherited a five coop chicken coop on our new property for the Children's Home, HOPEhouse, and have absolutely no idea even where to start

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have zero chickens at the moment (which comes first, the chickens or the kids...lol) as we are opening the Children's Home and the Chicken r
Ranch is the surprise addition

(3) What breeds do you have?

I don't even know one breed of chicken but I would like the ones that they lay multicolor eggs, the ones with feathers on their feet, and the white ones with spots on their feathers plus other types of unique chickens (no joke that I know nothing about chickens)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
So far my favorite aspect is learning all about chickens, how to prepare their coops, what type of floor to have (it's dirt at the moment), what is the best bedding, what kind of dropping pans are the best, and a thousand other questions that I do not have the answers for, yet!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Before opening a children's home I had several different hobbies that were sports and arts related.. my new hobby is preparing for the opening of The Children's Home and what in the world to do with five chicken coops :)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have lived in Mexico as a missionary for many many years, have three large dogs, two purebred Border Collies and an orphaned Boxer-Pit mix, we also have 11 plus or minus cats who have their own bed and dining room in my bedroom.. LOL the dogs and cats live in the ministry house which is across the road from The Hope House children's home where the chickens will one day be.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :)
I've looked at different forms and last night, doing my millionth chicken search, joined you all :)

* in the photos the coop is behind the shed.. have a great day

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230701-215919_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230701-215919_Gallery.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 94
WoW that’s so wonderful what you are doing as a missionary and to take in children it’s just wonderful and it’s a good thing you joined us here because you will learn all you need to raise happy healthy chickens and they’ll be great fun for the children too !!! Welcome!!

sample template you can copy and paste into your post to help the introduction juices flow:

So, I have zero chickens yet but have inherited a five coop chicken coop on our new property for the Children's Home, HOPEhouse, and have absolutely no idea even where to start

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have zero chickens at the moment (which comes first, the chickens or the kids...lol) as we are opening the Children's Home and the Chicken r

I don't even know one breed of chicken but I would like the ones that they lay multicolor eggs, the ones with feathers on their feet, and the white ones with spots on their feathers plus other types of unique chickens (no joke that I know nothing about chickens)

So far my favorite aspect is learning all about chickens, how to prepare their coops, what type of floor to have (it's dirt at the moment), what is the best bedding, what kind of dropping pans are the best, and a thousand other questions that I do not have the answers for, yet!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Before opening a children's home I had several different hobbies that were sports and arts related.. my new hobby is preparing for the opening of The Children's Home and what in the world to do with five chicken coops :)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have lived in Mexico as a missionary for many many years, have three large dogs, two purebred Border Collies and an orphaned Boxer-Pit mix, we also have 11 plus or minus cats who have their own bed and dining room in my bedroom.. LOL the dogs and cats live in the ministry house which is across the road from The Hope House children's home where the chickens will one day be.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :)
I've looked at different forms and last night, doing my millionth chicken search, joined you all :)

Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place. The Learning Center and Threads will be a great place to start your research. And of course, feel free to ask any questions.

Here are a breeds you can look into-
Feather Footed/Legged:
Cochin
Brahma
Marans
Faverolles

Fun Egg Layers:
Maran
Welsummer
Easter Egger
Ameraucana
Legbar

"Spotted" Breeds:
Hamburg
Appenzeller Spitzhauben
Sussex
Barred Rock
Ancona
Wyandotte
There are many many other options as well, so do your research and see what breeds are available for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom