Chickens in unincorporated Walnut Creek CA-contra costa county

chickoletta

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
Unincorporated Walnut Creek
Newbie here! I've searched and can't find specific information about unincorporated Walnut Creek. I've found City of Walnut Creek, but we are in the Saranap District which is not Walnut Creek Proper. Walnut Creek rules indicate land must be 20,000 sq ft or greater for one measly chicken. Most of our lots are 10,000. I know our neighbors across the street have 3 chickens. Does anyone here live in my area or enlighten me on what our actual restrictions are? Thanks in advance!!!!

This is what I can find about Contra Costa county (chickens are considered livestock and the rules seem mostly designed for farms, not residential areas):

84-14.1402 - Animal structure—General provisions.

Chicken houses, rabbit hutches, and similar accessory structures provided for the housing of the animals shall be set back not less than sixty feet from the front property line or any street line, and shall be not less than forty feet from any side or rear property line; barns, stables and other buildings or structures used to shelter livestock shall be set back not less than one hundred feet from the front property line or any street line, and shall not be less than fifty feet from any side or rear property line; fenced pasture, paddocks, or other enclosed livestock areas shall not be located nearer than ten feet to any property line.

My neighbor has chickens, horses and/or goats. Can they be in this neighborhood?
Keeping livestock is only permitted in specifically zoned land. Residential property typically only allows raising or keeping “ordinary household pets.” However because the county was once an agriculturally based community, many pieces of land within residential communities have retained legal non-conformance land use that permits the keeping of live stock. The planning department determines the permitted land use for each property within County jurisdiction. Check with the Planning Division (925) 674-7205 prior to keeping exotic or farm animals. Report exotic or farm animals in residential areas to Code Enforcement (925) 674-7210.

Thank you! I called them- BIG BUMMER we aren't allowed ANY. I don't understand because we are rural, have no streetlights or sidewalks, and I back up to open space. We have turkeys and deer and all kinds of critters. Planning department says they are working on an ordinance to make
It easier for us to maybe have them. Time for me to research how to expedite this. Thank you for your help. Now I'm depressed!! :( our neighbors all have chickens maybe I'll just risk it?

Thank you! I called them- BIG BUMMER we aren't allowed ANY. I don't understand because we are rural, have no streetlights or sidewalks, and I back up to open space. We have turkeys and deer and all kinds of critters. Planning department says they are working on an ordinance to make
It easier for us to maybe have them. Time for me to research how to expedite this. Thank you for your help. Now I'm depressed!!
sad.png
our neighbors all have chickens maybe I'll just risk it?

If your neighbors all have them, I'd just ask my immediate ones if they had any objections and if not, go ahead and get a few. Your main issue would be getting reported by them anyway.

The ones that don't have them bring cartons to the ones that do, for free eggs! I don't think it will be an issue but dread possibly getting cited and having to give away my new flock!!! I will risk it though. Fingers crossed!

I live in Oakley out in east contra costa county, and if you get in trouble, I would be happy to flock sit for you till the heat dies down or they start letting you have chickens! Good luck and hope it's soon. By the way I go out every day and give mine treats.... They love it and a good back scratch... Fun little birds

Hi there. I'm in unincorporated WC and have 5 chickens. I was always told the rule here was six chickens no roosters. We have friends up the road with 10. Someone with no heart walked by the open space and saw them and reported them and they were going to have to get rid of a few. I doubt they ever did. In other words, yes you are allowed chickens here, but the limit seems to be urban lore.

I say talk to your neighbors. If no one objects, go for it. Everyone here has chickens and there's even a current adoption going on right now with an animal rescue group I've adopted from before. I'm thinking of adding two or three more.

I feed my kiddos with these eggs. They free range all day on my property. I see neighbors up the street with the same thing. Chickens are awesome. Mine have tilled my entire backyard, something I would have had to pay $300 or more for every summer. The eggs they're laying right now are enormous!

Let me know if you need any more info!

Elizabeth

did you ever get your answer? I would like to know that status and any links or resources you found?
I live in Moraga and tonight there is a hearing to allow them. they have been illegal until now.
Despite the fact that many people have their underground chicken friends/pets!

Lynda

Back
Top Bottom