Chickens laying during winter - Halp I've got too many eggs

May 16, 2020
So, my dad told me the hens were supposed to take 'a break' during winter.
That we might only get one egg a day
That we might get none.
The 18 pack and 12 pack plus 4 eggs in the fridge right now says otherwise.

We had one single day where we found no eggs in the nesting box. One.
And then they've laid 4 eggs a day since. And eating 4 eggs a day isn't a challenge, but when your brother would rather play his video games and doesn't know how to cook eggs without burning them, and your dad's a stoner who freaks out and orders GRUBHUB MCDONALDS whenever he sees a commercial, and your mother's boss uses Church as a way to make her feel guilty and not only open the store daily but close it daily as well and is never home for breakfast....i think you get where I'm going.
I alone eat about 2 eggs a day. One in a breakfast sandwich, one for lunch before work. But when you have 34 eggs and you're going to get 4 more tomorrow, that's a little hard to keep up with.

So! Since our hens CLEARLY never decided to slow down, what do you guys do when you have excessive amounts of eggs? OCCASIONALLY on the rare occasion when my mom is home, my dad's not stoned, and my brother's awake before 4 pm, we do a dozen-egg scramble with ham or spam, cheese, and shallots (because my dad thinks he's fancy pairing shallots with spam).
But I clearly can't eat a dozen-egg scramble alone.
Have I talked enough about eggs? I'm hungry. I'm gonna go make scrambled eggs and fry up a piece of Canadian bacon.

Also...I've heard of people feeding eggs back to their hens for added proteins, which I'm sure is not only nice on a cool morning to have a warm breakfast- but it's supposed to be good for them. How do I do this? Do I just do a plain scramble, toss it in a bowl, and set it out for them? If I were to do this, how often can I do this? I have 5 hens if it helps to have a number. (I would have to make two bowls, they peck at each other if there's more than 3 hens to a snack)

Are your layers all under 1 year old, or some older hens in the mix too? If they're all young, you can count on NOT having this problem next winter unless you supplement light. :D

You have any friends/relatives who like to bake or cook? I bet they'd love some free eggs. Dogs that like a nice treat now and then? Eggs.

Otherwise it's deviled eggs and egg salad for me.

Since the pandemic, we have something called "porch refrigerators and pantrys" people are free to put things in the fridge or pantry and people who are in need of food can take what they need from the fridge or pantry (no questions asked) you just have to feel you need somethings so you can use your money to pay bills. Here people love when someone leaves fresh eggs. Perhaps you could start something along those lines in your area, if there isn't something already in place.
It would be a wonderful way to help your community and do something important with your extra eggs. :hugs

There's a homeless shelter in a nearby town and when I've had too many eggs, I've dropped off dozens there (I also sell eggs, but during the pandemic that was much less possible).

You might try experimenting with longer-term storage ideas. I have made pickled eggs in the past, and you can gift those to people outside your family.

They're not everyone's favorite food, but I have some friends who think they're tasty.

Good luck with finding a solution. I hope you're not overwhelmed; sounds like you have your hands full.

Do you have neighbors you can share the eggs with?

You ask about feeding your hens some of the eggs. I do if I'm overrun, they love them.
Just scramble up a few eggs, let cool and feed. I have several small plastic bowls and serve it up, that way everyone gets a chance and doesn't fight over the eggs.
While you're at it give them their eggs shells back too. For me personally, I like to "bake" the shells a little. I have a small foil lined cookie sheet that I put the shells on then when I'm done baking something (using the oven), I stick the shells in there and turn off the oven leaving the shells in there to "bake" and really crisp up. I take them out when the oven has cooled completely, crush them a little and they go to the ladies.

So, my dad told me the hens were supposed to take 'a break' during winter.
That we might only get one egg a day
That we might get none.
The 18 pack and 12 pack plus 4 eggs in the fridge right now says otherwise.

We had one single day where we found no eggs in the nesting box. One.
And then they've laid 4 eggs a day since. And eating 4 eggs a day isn't a challenge, but when your brother would rather play his video games and doesn't know how to cook eggs without burning them, and your dad's a stoner who freaks out and orders GRUBHUB MCDONALDS whenever he sees a commercial, and your mother's boss uses Church as a way to make her feel guilty and not only open the store daily but close it daily as well and is never home for breakfast....i think you get where I'm going.
I alone eat about 2 eggs a day. One in a breakfast sandwich, one for lunch before work. But when you have 34 eggs and you're going to get 4 more tomorrow, that's a little hard to keep up with.

So! Since our hens CLEARLY never decided to slow down, what do you guys do when you have excessive amounts of eggs? OCCASIONALLY on the rare occasion when my mom is home, my dad's not stoned, and my brother's awake before 4 pm, we do a dozen-egg scramble with ham or spam, cheese, and shallots (because my dad thinks he's fancy pairing shallots with spam).
But I clearly can't eat a dozen-egg scramble alone.
Have I talked enough about eggs? I'm hungry. I'm gonna go make scrambled eggs and fry up a piece of Canadian bacon.

Also...I've heard of people feeding eggs back to their hens for added proteins, which I'm sure is not only nice on a cool morning to have a warm breakfast- but it's supposed to be good for them. How do I do this? Do I just do a plain scramble, toss it in a bowl, and set it out for them? If I were to do this, how often can I do this? I have 5 hens if it helps to have a number. (I would have to make two bowls, they peck at each other if there's more than 3 hens to a snack)

Exact opposite problem....my hens stopped laying in about October...nothing again yet. They are about 4 years old. Are they done laying?

Back
Top Bottom