Chickens losing use of legs

Macamania

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
Eva, Alabama
I've got hens and two roosters that have been slowly wilting away. I've lost count on the hens, probably about 10. I got these at Tracot Supply last February. I had one analyzed and it tested for coccidia and coryza. I've treated the flock, thought the coccidia would be dead for sure. But, I've lost two more within the past few weeks. Now I have one that can hardly walk. That seems to be the first symptom I've seen (weakness in legs). I have given one shots to try to save it (tylan). I've done everything I know to do. Does anyone have any ideas? Have I not completely killed the coccidia in their systems? Could it be the coryza or something else? This pic is of a RIR hen in the fall. She couldn't walk and you can see the toes are curled on one foot. Anybody got anything?

l

Last edited:
Were they tested for Merek's? Also, what did you treat with for the cocci? Corid I've heard kills a broader spectrum of cocci. Sulmet is another but I heard not as good as Corid. The leg thing sounds like Merek's though.

I would recommend that if you lose another one, to send the refrigerated body in to your state vet for a necropsy, and to test for Mareks disease. It can cause a lack of immunity to common diseases. Do you have neighbors who have chickens, or do you add new chickens occasionally? Always quarantine any new chickens that you get for 30-45 days just in case one is a carrier of disease. If you find that you have Mareks in your flock, you will need to only buy vaccinated chicks from a hatchery in the future, and keep them away from any remaining dust or dander from the other chickens.

To answer your questions:

Were they tested for Merek's? The one I had tested was having these symptoms, so I took it to an extension of Auburn University’s poultry lab. I actually watched and saw the coccidia myself under the microscope. It was a very through exam and also sent samples to the University to test further. HOWEVER, the report I received had nothing about Mereks.

What did you treat with for the cocci? I used Corid as directed by the staff. I’ve started them on another round.

In response to Eggcessive:

No neighbors have them. I have ordered new chicks that are suppose to be vaccinated. But I have built a chicken tractor that I plan to put my current birds in, currently 8. I plan to thoroughly clean the current coup and put the new babies in there after they come out of the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom