Chickens M.I.A.

Bock-Bock-Bagock

Chirping
Oct 6, 2023
Central Tennessee
Update: The Rhode Island Red returned, but no clue where the other two are. Hoping they decided to roost in a tree.
I have 3 ladies missing in action right now. Normally I let them out in the morning for a few hours. They never wander off the property. I am on 5 acres of mostly wooded hilly land. Normally they are within ear-shot. I can always hear them scratching the leaves foraging. We drove around the properties and through the connecting woods and found nothing. There are no signs of an attack. No feathers, no blood. Nothing. We looked all over 40+ acres of land for them. No sign.
Here are the options:
Neighboring dogs. They have some kind of hounds. However, they haven't been coming on my property and they bark when they chase and attack. So my dog would have alerted and I'd have heard them I'd think. They were chasing deer a few hills over the other day.

Hawk. There is a hawk that comes around. But the ladies hang in the tree line and under cover. Also the crows were fighting off the hawk. They always chase it off. Plus if the hawk was still around I'd assume that means it didn't get a meal yet. I'd think there would be feathers around at the attack. Plus the hawk wouldn't take all 3.

Foxes. We do have foxes. Haven't seen them in months. And usually, they have passed through by daylight hours. I'd also think 2 foxes wouldn't take 3 hens. PLus no feathers.

The only thing I can think of is an animal got one, carried it off, and the other chickens followed their friend not knowing any better. But I don't think they'd be dumb enough to follow a predator that took one. Or maybe something tried to get them and chased them off. But I don't imaging they'd go that far.

Sadly I can't think of anywhere else to look and anyhting else and have to go to work. So leaving the chicken run open and hoping they come back.

Attachments

• PXL_20231113_215301900.jpg
    PXL_20231113_215301900.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
This is the worst--not knowing. It is possible to diagnose a predator attack, but that requires either finding a kill site or a carcass. I've been in this situation many times before and it's the worst part of owning poultry. It sounds as though something may have spooked them and drove them farther away.

Keep the thread updated. There have been times when my missing birds have been back in the yard at feeding time. I hope you find them!

This is the worst--not knowing. It is possible to diagnose a predator attack, but that requires either finding a kill site or a carcass. I've been in this situation many times before and it's the worst part of owning poultry. It sounds as though something may have spooked them and drove them farther away.

Keep the thread updated. There have been times when my missing birds have been back in the yard at feeding time. I hope you find them!
One did return. Not sure where the other two are. Hopefully close by.

Chances are a pair of foxes got your chickens.They will watch them for weeks or months sometimes before an attack .Sorry for your loss!
Thing about the foxes is they normally move through before 7am. I don't let the chickens out till close to 9am. I'm kicking myself for not having trail cams set up to see what happened

Thing about the foxes is they normally move through before 7am. I don't let the chickens out till close to 9am. I'm kicking myself for not having trail cams set up to see what happened
I rarely let my mine out early either but it doesn't prevent attacks. The fact that you've seen more than one points to you having a pair with kits learning to hunt on their own

Considering you have no feathers or corpses and no leads or evidence I would move the foxes to the top of the list of suspects.They will watch for weeks or months to learn your habits and plan the best mode of attack.

https://poultryowner.com/are-chickens-safe-from-foxes-during-the-day/

Last edited:
I rarely let my mine out early either but it doesn't prevent attacks. The fact that you've seen more than one points to you having a pair with kits learning to hunt on their own
I know of 3 in the area. I believe two are the mom and dad. But they haven't been seen as of the last couple months. We did see a coyote on the cams when the foxes stopped being seen. We're unsure if they were forced out or not.
I'm hoping the other two turn up tomorrow. If not I have to figure out what to do with the line hen. She seemed pretty distraught when I checked on her. I'm hoping she calls the other ones back and they just didn't get back by dark.
Though they do tend to stay fairly close to each other.

Back
Top Bottom