Chickens M.I.A.

Considering you have no feathers or corpses and no leads or evidence I would move the foxes to the top of the list of number # suspect.They will watch you for weeks or months and learn your habits before they plan their attack on the chickens
I believe I know where the foxes den at. If my two girls don't show up tomorrow I'm going to take a look around there for any evidence. They should be under an old shed by a hill of blackberry bushes.
If the girls didn't get caught I really want them to get back because we're in a severe weather area Saturday.
The foxes stopped showing up before I had chickens. They'd sometimes watch my dog go to the bathroom in the morning.
Looks like I'm setting up a trail cam to see if they are still around. Looking for the chickens today I found a den for a woodchuck or groundhog. Think that's the same thing.

Considering you have no feathers or corpses and no leads or evidence I would move the foxes to the top of the list of suspects.They will watch for weeks or months to learn your habits and plan the best mode of attack.

https://poultryowner.com/are-chickens-safe-from-foxes-during-the-day/
My grandmother told me the lady down the road a bit had 3 hens taken by foxes this last week. She has it on her cameras. So it appears they are cleaning out the neighborhood.

I had to treat one of my hens for shock and soak her leg for weeks following a predator attack.She still limps but has greatly improved .The bobcat image below was taken by a game camera next door

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-10 2.13.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 2.13.03 AM.png
    480.6 KB · Views: 8
My Easter Egger "Chives" literally just popped up. She's had a rough time. I live just out of Clarksville, TN. She survived the tornado weather in the woods. She is all puffed up from being cold. Very lethargic. Seems traumatized. But she doesn't have any injuries that I can see. OMG. I'm so happy she's back. Now I'm only missing the Barred Rock "Pepper".
Do you think they'd follow a fox that took one of them? "Lemon" one of the 3 of my original flock seems depressed, even with adding two pullets to the flock. Maybe this will cheer her up.

Attachments

• PXL_20231210_184839418.jpg
    PXL_20231210_184839418.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 6
I had to treat one of my hens for shock and soak her leg for weeks following a predator attack.She still limps but has greatly improved .The bobcat image below was taken by a game camera next door
I just realized how appropriate your screen name is. LOL. My baby is back!!!! At least one of the 3. Now with only one missing I'm hoping they did just wander and not follow a predator into the woods.

I just realized how appropriate your screen name is. LOL. My baby is back!!!! At least one of the 3. Now with only one missing I'm hoping they did just wander and not follow a predator into the woods.
Happy your hen's home! Hopefully Pepper will make it back too! I would give your hens a little sugar water and keep them in a warm quiet place a few days.(treat for shock) Sugar water and scrambled eggs will encourage them to eat. Its not likely your barred rock just wandered off or followed the predator.Most likely she was chased and is lost or still hiding

Happy your hen's home! Hopefully Pepper will make it back too! I would give your hens a little sugar water and keep them in a warm quiet place a few days.(treat for shock) Sugar water and scrambled eggs will encourage them to eat. Its not likely your barred rock just wandered off or followed the predator.Most likely she was chased and is lost or still hiding
Will get her sugar water in the morning. I it her back in the coop and she's been on the roost bar. Had to go to work. But my parents have a bunch they use for their bees.

Back
Top Bottom